Options

Comments

• *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    edited 28 March 2017 at 6:47PM
    Options
    Thanks for your comments, Sun.A, Lucky and Bubbles, :T

Grand-Pup is absolutely fine again now - he's actually doubled in size since joining DS' & GGF's household five weeks ago, and is now the proud owner of his very own passport. :)
    Oh Robin, I don't like to think of you being brassic with not much to eat :(

Please don't worry, Lucky - there is more than enough in the garden and store-cupboard to feed me (and I could do with losing a few more kilos anyway, so a shortage of sweet treats can only be a good thing! ;)).

In fact last week I was able to rustle up a feast entirely from stocks, to celebrate our winter tenant's last night before he left DH's cottage. Admittedly the prep took all day: Peel spuds - lie down for a rest. Pick broad-beans - lie down, rest, then shell 'em in bed, etc. Still, everything including two mains [for different dietary requirements] came together by half past six so we ate at a reasonable hour.
    Mind you, the washing up is still going through the system! :rotfl:

Wasn't worth much over the following couple of days, but managed to get out on British Mothers' Day; DS3, GGF and Grand-Pup collected me and we all went up to one of the mountain villages where an ex-pat bar had arranged entertainment. It was a beautiful day; sunny and warm, plus great fun to catch up with lots of friends I'd not seen for ages.
    DS and Grand-Pup went for a walk to look at some Phoenician ruins on the top of the closest peak, which meant I had to wait a couple of hours for a lift back to the Nest - a delay I could have done without, tbh.
    Clouds were rolling in from the West by then - harbingers of a vicious storm front; the warmth of the day was over. GGF stayed at the bar while DS drove me down the mountain. He had intended to do some gardening then meet up with GGF at the Old House later, but realised he'd mislaid his 'phone so dashed off again - thinking he'd dropped it on the mountain top, wanting to get up there before dark to try and find it.

Nearly four hours later, thunder and lightening crashing overhead with rain lashing down in the darkness, GGF and I started chatting on-line. We realised DS hadn't made it back to the gathering at the bar - after a flurry of calls and messaging, it turned out that nobody had seen him since he left the Nest!

Now, everyone who has visited the white mountain villages of Andalusia will have noticed many roadside shrines, each of which commemorates a life ended in tragic circumstances. Every year their number grows.. There are stories of miraculous escapes - DS1 was saved from a three hundred metre fall into a river by a well-placed ancient fig tree when his first car left the road, but we've lost half a dozen mates over the years who weren't so lucky.
    It's not easy to raise a search party when the weather is atrocious; the risk of landslides adds to the danger and of course DS was driving our only accessible vehicle (Divo One is away, working on his current project for a couple of weeks). Bless her, GGF's Mum agreed to take her and drive the route again, looking for any sign that the van had fallen down a steep drop.. This was worth doing before calling out the police, mainly because it was quicker (two friends died from postural strangulation after being knocked unconscious when they had an accident which wasn't found in time - killed by their seat-belts!).
    Anyway, after a nail-biting wait GGF told me there was no obvious sign that DS had gone over an edge.. None of the folk who were still at the bar were willing to risk their own lives by searching the mountain top, but the van wasn't parked at either of the two footpaths leading up so that possibility was looking unlikely..

By this time both GGF and I were terrified.. Hearts gripped in iron bands as the storm reached it's furious peak. If we'd been in a movie the background music would have been approaching a crashing crescendo; the fulcrum moment - would our hero survive or not?
    Should GGF and her Mum go to the nearest Guardia post? It's a serious step; the Spanish police wouldn't be at all impressed if called out in dangerous weather for a false alarm.
    We were talking on messenger, trying to reach a decision, when suddenly new comments started appearing on GGF's thread which obviously weren't from her. After a couple of minutes' confusion - was this a voice from the next dimension [?!] - we realised that DS was typing from their home computer, on GGF's log-in - he was safe!

The elastic band of stress released it's grip.. Fellow PwME will understand the effect of that; I've been useless ever since. But oh so relieved and thankful; DS' karma must have been good enough to keep him out of trouble.
    Next time we're in funds, GGF and I are going to buy some of those tracker discs to put on everyone's keys - it's not worth the angst of having to rely on mobiles to keep in contact.

Today am very, very grateful for Divo Three's good luck. Also for wonderful mates - two of whom have offered loans if I'm in need of funds before the current bottleneck eases - and my fruitful garden which hopefully will render cash borrowing unnecessary. :)
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Robin what an awful time you both must have had whilst waiting for DS to turn up, your Adrenalin levels must have been off the scale. I hope that you are able to rest and recuperate without further adventures by the family.

Gentle licks from the furry one.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 March 2017 at 12:21AM
    Options
    Oh Robin I'd missed a couple of your updates and then this - so glad to read and find a happy ending - it must have helped to be in touch with GF while you were both worrying - what a relief all was well. Garden must be a boon, glad it's keeping you fed. Seeds planted here last weekend but keeping them in the warm. Sunny with a bit of a chilly wind this week so far.
    Hope the temporary cash flow blip turns round soon - before you tire of vegetables at least! Gently does it, take good care of you. Lurcher boy sends a virtual lurcher lean in, as lurchers do. He'll be overjoyed if you wouldn't mind giving a virtual ear rub. Pup sounds a joy too, so glad he turned the corner.
    Van's out of storage, my girl making travel plans. Love to hear more of what's happening with you and yours x
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,295 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh Robin what a scare! Glad all's well that ends well though. Good idea about the trackers.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    So pleased to read DS3 is safe! My heart was racing with yours as I got further and further into your 'tale'!! Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • *Robin*
    edited 31 March 2017 at 2:32PM
    Options
    Hell's bells.. it's Friday again! The weeks are flying by so fast. :o

Thanks for posting, Maddiemay, Dansmam, Sun.A and Lucky - you're all wonderful! :T
    ..Over two hundred other people have read without commenting since m' last update - can't help worrying about them and wishing a few more would at least say 'hello.'

Maddie - thanks for virtual licks from Herself, please pass on huggles from me in return. :)
    You're right about the adrenaline! Takes ages to recover from that kind of upset; writing it all down was very cathartic, allowing me to close a particularly difficult chapter - even though it came out as a 'tale,' Lucky.

Sun.A - yes I like the sound of those trackers, especially as they can be disguised as a personalised key-fob (or identity disc for Grand-Pup). GGF and I are going to club together and buy a set, as it's pretty economical to order half a dozen. ;)

Dansmam - do people get tired of eating vegetables? They wouldn't last long here! :rotfl:
    We've stopped planting now because there probably won't be anyone to eat seasonal produce over the summer, so am concentrating on tidying up the trees and weeding perennials which hopefully will still be flourishing in the autumn. It's nearly time to strip and freeze all the broad-beans - they've done really well this year (every visitor is gifted a bagful but there are still tons left on the plants).
    Thinking about it, leaving the garden is the worst thing about travelling in the summer.. Do like to know that my food hasn't been sprayed with pesticides or grown with artificial fertiliser (not to mention the expense of having to buy everything while I'm away from the Nest, of course). Ha - talking of organic produce, last night I noticed lots of the salad leaves were peppered with tiny holes. Looking closer, I see that the caterpillars have moved in. Am happy to share, because butterflies need encouragement - it's a good excuse to just pick the smaller, sweetest leaves, and leave the rest for my garden guests. :)

Good news that DD is readying her van for her next adventure - no progress on mine, alas (need to pay the parking yard before I can take camper-van out, which is one bill I cannot satisfy atm).

Thanks to Lurcher-Boy for his lurchery leanings-in - please do pass on ear-rubs and cuddles in return. :)

Well, not much actual progress to report here. No money = no spending of course, and I haven't seen anyone in RL since going out last weekend.
    There are a couple of tasks I need to accomplish; paying CT and service charges on the flat as the sale hasn't gone through yet. Noted here to ensure I get it together - hopefully there's enough in my UK a/c to cover those bills; if not, am about to become overdrawn for the first time in years. :cool:

Am grateful the weather is getting warmer - probably won't need any more firewood before next winter. This is an odd one, but am also grateful that my children are grown and don't need me to organise their lives these days (so it doesn't matter when I'm unable to do more than keep myself fed*). *On this topic, am grateful for my mother's training which has ensured there's enough in the store-cupboard to feed me during times of penury. :)
  • *Robin*
    edited 1 April 2017 at 11:26PM
    Options
    April Fool's Day (British). Serves me right for commenting that I hadn't seen anyone all week.. This morning I was woken up by a brace of estate agents. They told me they've been driving around this area with a client who has spotted the Nest and would like to buy it!
    "Well," I said. "Everything is for sale at the right price - how much is your client offering?"
    "How much do you want?"
    "Oh no, I'm not looking for a buyer - I love my little garden here! It's up to your client to make me an offer I can't refuse."
    They left me their card, we exchanged mobile numbers, and agreed to speak again next week. Interestingly, they'd also come across Divo Three walking with Grand-Pup while they were out with their client. Time will tell whether this is a scam, or they were actually casing the joint (a common ploy here - usually it's a fake gas engineer wanting to check for out-of-date hoses and adaptors).

Managed to pay the two bills mentioned yesterday, after a worrying half-hour wobble when I couldn't remember the password for DH's flat's account. As usual, money out attracted money in - the first rent instalment from the New House tenants has been paid into my UK a/c (phew!). Just as well, because DS4 reminded me about another large maintenance bill which is overdue. I've been trying to pay that for months (when I remember about it).. Now finally have the amount required, the recipient's bank details - but can I remember his surname? Aaargh - bluddy brain fog! ..Serves me right for putting him in my 'phone book as "Don Handyman" (to distinguish him from the other five Dons on my list :o). Embarrassing to have to call him in order to ask, but needs must I suppose.
    Once that's done I'll check the UK a/c balance, and see whether there's enough left to pay the parking yard bill here.. Which would be wonderful, as then I can take out camper-van and go to visit the pet rescue centre mentioned several posts ago. The timing would be perfect - DS3 and GGF are going away to Portugal for a week in the Spanish van, and I'd rather not be stranded without an option to call for transport if required.

Today am grateful for the flock of goldfinches who have been playing in the almond tree outside my window; so sweet and entertaining. Also to Smiley Neighbour, who put half a dozen beehives on his land next to the Nest last night - they're all over the meadow flowers this morning, so I've just filled up the bee-friendly water bowl. Last but not least, am grateful to DS4 for organising the rent payment which hopefully has stopped my UK a/c from going into the red. :)
  • *Robin*
    Options
    It's a perfect day here - nowhere near as hot as the weather Sun.A is enjoying, but perfect nonetheless. :)
    Can't seem to settle to anything today.. Wandering from one task to another, but there are snags with each job which distract me and require pauses. :o

Don Handyman hasn't got back to me yet - maybe doesn't look at his 'phone over the weekend? Have left sufficient in the UK a/c to pay his bill and transferred enough over here for the parking yard account, plus some personal spends to cover the next few weeks (maybe a rescue-dog adoption fee?). The Spanish van needs a new technical inspection this month - ah, better remind DS3 in case the expiry date clashes with his trip.

Might have a summer tenant for DH's big cottage. He's a good mate though, so just paying utilities (hopefully).

The estate agents are a bit of a mystery. DS says he didn't meet 'em in the campo (despite them describing him and Grand-Pup pretty accurately). They 'phoned him soon after leaving the Nest though; we're not sure exactly what they're up to?
    The card they gave me is from a valid company - but based about three hours' drive East of this area. Rather odd. :cool:

We have yet another family member facing serious health issues. He's hinting that he'd like to be looked after, please, but I'm honestly not sure that I'm up to it this time. Would be easier if he came here, but he'd rather I trudge across Europe to him. Hmm.
  • stepuptothepl8
    Options
    It's always so lovely to read your updates, although I don't post very often :o

For what a stranger's opinion is worth, I do not think that you should be travelling across Europe to look after anyone. All well and good if you are feeling 100%, but I get the impression that you aren't quite at that magic number. And it's important to look after your own health. Hope you don't mind me butting in.
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Robin
    Didn't want to read and run, stopping by in mid cooking session to say I'm another vote for you staying put and nesting to look after you. Is relative up to flying out to join you or is medical support an issue?
    Lovely sunny walk with lurcher boy this afternoon- do I hear a trip to visit potential canine companion calling once the van is liberated?
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family