changing name on the house deed

Options
2»

Comments

• TrickyDicky101
    Options
    Assuming you are going to be the primary carer for your child then it is entirely possible that your ex is living in fantasy land if he thinks he will be due any money from the property - the needs of the child will be paramount when it comes to divorce. Your ex will have an ongoing liability to support his child.
  • sanova76
    Options
    I'm going to be the primary carer for our son. My ex just wants his money fast to move on. I'm not in the position to give 30K otherwise I will!

I just want to make sure everything in the financial consent order is legally binding (he won't ask for more that 30K) when I sell the house in the future. What if he changes him mind in the future? He will need to take me to court to contest it? For example, instead of the 20K he asked, he wants half of the equity?

My son has special needs that's why I want to keep and stay in the house. His school is nearby our current home. Moving is the last option. My ex also understands that, the only issue is the money. He needs money to move on as he said. I also understand that he needs money for house rent, deposit etc but I just don't have that amount!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    sanova76 wrote: »
    I'm going to be the primary carer for our son. My ex just wants his money fast to move on. I'm not in the position to give 30K otherwise I will!

I just want to make sure everything in the financial consent order is legally binding (he won't ask for more that 30K) when I sell the house in the future. What if he changes him mind in the future? He will need to take me to court to contest it? For example, instead of the 20K he asked, he wants half of the equity?
    !

These are questions for, and why you use, a solicitor.
    IMy son has special needs that's why I want to keep and stay in the house. His school is nearby our current home. Moving is the last option. My ex also understands that, the only issue is the money. He needs money to move on as he said. I also understand that he needs money for house rent, deposit etc but I just don't have that amount!

This will depend upon the house if you are in a 4 bed detatched it would seem reasonable to move. A 2 bed terrace, not so much . As another poster said your ex may be in cloud cuckoo land and may have to wait a considerable time.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

Questions about financial consent order.

Ex is asking for 30K. He's willing to take £10K now and 20K when the house sells (not sure when!) and won't ask for any more money. He also willing to keep his name on the mortgage as long as the lender won't after him in case I miss payment.

Is this something that can be put in the financial consent order? What if I'll never sell the house or he dies before I sell the house? He'll never get that 20K? I assume if he changes his mind after the consent order in place, he'll need to take me to court? ie. he wants 50% of the house sale instead of the remaining 20K.

Thanks

You could definitely put in any consent order that he only gets £20k from a future house sale. If he died before you sold the house the £20k would be owed to his estate. If he changes his mind after agreeing a consent order, he would need to go to court. But the whole point of a consent order is that you have an agreement, no court is going to be impressed if he varies it for no reason.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure