Late once in 2 years and boss complained

Options

Comments

• sleepymans
    sleepymans Posts: 902 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Learn the lesson, give employers nothing more than you are contracted to and expect nothing not specified in the contract from them.

Once I retired its the times I didn't let the f88kers get the better of me that warms the cockles of my heart:)
    :A Goddess :A
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Am working my notice period at the moment as a middle manager in a small sized company. Have been there for nearly 2 years have never been late or taken a day off sick for that matter in that time. Regularly worked unpaid overtime, came in at weekends to finish project work off.

Arrived ten minutes late at work yesterday no important meeting that I should have attended, nothing critical that I missed being ten minutes late. Received an email from my line manager this morning saying that he had noted on the clocking system that I was ten minutes late and what was the reason for this?

I actually had to calm myself after I read this and would like suggestions how to reply to this professionally and pragmatically. TIA
    Don't make life difficult, its hardly an unfair question they asked
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Maybe he is by leaving?

Maybe....

Or maybe read some of the OP's other posts and come to your own view as to where the issues might lie....
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Am working my notice period at the moment as a middle manager in a small sized company. Have been there for nearly 2 years have never been late or taken a day off sick for that matter in that time. Regularly worked unpaid overtime, came in at weekends to finish project work off.

Arrived ten minutes late at work yesterday no important meeting that I should have attended, nothing critical that I missed being ten minutes late. Received an email from my line manager this morning saying that he had noted on the clocking system that I was ten minutes late and what was the reason for this?

I actually had to calm myself after I read this and would like suggestions how to reply to this professionally and pragmatically. TIA

I've worked at a place where you'd have had this for being two mins late. All just water off my duck's back.
  • westbridgfordguy
    Options
    As you have never been late before, for all you know this is his automatic response to everybody every time they are late.
    You're correct it could be their standard response if someone is late. Given I'm salaried and with my previous exemplary attendance record then well....but its their entitlement I guess.
  • westbridgfordguy
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Or he's making sure that you're still keeping to your contracted hours despite working out your notice - the temptation could be to mentally check out a little early....
    Fair comment, though one my peers didnt even give them the courtesy of a notice period and went AWOL with a mystery illness which they were being paid company sick pay for 2 weeks whilst they were working for another company at the same time. ....
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Understand your frustration when you consider you've been an exemplary employee for nearly 2 years, but this wasn't a complaint: it was a question. If your employer has a clocking system, it's there for a reason - and it is highly likely that the question is asked if someone is late, regardless of how long or short their period of lateness is. Ask everyone who comes in late and you avoid claims of favourtism, discrimination etc.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    It's quite common for people to think that a good record means immunity when things go wrong. Rarely the case, though it is in my case :beer:
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good grief, noone is sacking you.

It is perfectly reasonable to the manager to ask you why you were late - no doubt they ask the same question of everybody else.

Just politely apologise for being late and move on with your life.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's quite common for people to think that a good record means immunity when things go wrong. Rarely the case, though it is in my case :beer:

It's common because it's a reasonable stance to take.

"I often don't leave exactly on time so it's not going to be a problem if I occasionally don't make it in exactly on time."

But it basically never works that way. It's not a give and take relationship, it's all take. They expect you to be on time all the time and leave late if requested.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure