PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Central Heating

Options
Turn it down and put on a jumper (jumper not necessary in summer months)

This is better for your wallet and it's better for the environment - when I was at University there were 9 of us in a house and we paid well over 50 pounds a quarter cos some people wanted to walk round in their shorts in winter and to dry clothes cos they washed everything they owned at the same time - now I have a 3 bedroomed house and I pay that for the whole house
Always on the lookout

Comments

• potty_2
    potty_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I have economy 7 heating, when I put the heating on it is too hot to sleep, and in the evening it is freezing, so we sit in Jumpers, blankets etc..

We save by putting an extra duvet on the bed, and wering jumpers, and not putting on more than 1 heater.
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Last winter i saved money by every week turning down the thermostat half a degree and it seemed to work for me ;D
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Options
    Draft stoppers by the base of doors and covering the key hole will make it warmer too!
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Longer term,having radiator thermostats is good. 2 years ago we asked the plumber to put thermostats on the upstairs radiators (4 of them)
    Now we can have the upstairs rooms on very low ,the bathroom which is built over the stairs is cosy and we dont have to leave the windows open because were gasping for air . Our bills have lowered too so good news all round.
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    Draft stoppers by the base of doors and covering the key hole will make it warmer too!

my sister got a gorgeous one for christmas (it is like a lamb, but with a very long sausage like body).

When she was cold on Christmas night she wore it like a scarf - dual use!!! ::)
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport