PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cutting back reduces packaging?

Options

Comments

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lol
  • carrottopsuk
    Options
    I must admit we havent been too good at recycling until my 7 year old did something about it at school, now EVERYTHING needs to be recycled lol.

I also do mystery shopping and need to print assignments that can be 7 or 8 pages long, so every single piece of A4 paper that comes through the door that isnt printed on the back goes into the box to be reused. My husband also now gets paper from work that would have otherwise been ditched.

Is there are thread on here about recycling because I could do with some more ideas. Why is it I always seem to go off topic on these boards? lol

I wouldn't call recycling completely off topic.

After all in olden times (ahem) I believe people didn't just throw things in the bin and generate such waste. They followed the principals of make do and mend.

I'm sure they didn't fill up those landfill sites so quickly.

I must start recycling things!
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    we all should make a new years resolution to do a bit more.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I'm definitely going to order a compost bin, been meaning to do it anyway as we have a 3 story house, so when we cut the grass we have to bring the bin bag full of grass cuttings up through the house. This way we can just empty it into the compost bin as well as all the other benefits.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Those wax discs you can buy from lakeland to use in thsoe burger makers - have always used packaging in cereals (the white one), draw round the burger maker ad cut out - cheap as chips! Also as well as cereal boxes used for drawing paper and lists you can also use the bits you tear out from the tissue box!
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i do my lists on bits out of tissue boxes, but thought that was just me being tight. :-[
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Watched a prog the other night on the History Chanel where a family had to live an authentic 1940's Christmas for a week. Made me realise that even we dedicated Ol'Stylers havn't even touched the tip of the iceburg yet ;D After a whole week of Christmas cooking and festivities their domestic trash fitted into a kitchen saucepan :o. I've only just started preping Christmas nosh and have just filled my third black sack and I'm pretty good at recycling ???

Other things they did which I though were good:

Didn't buy a Chrismas Tree. Snaffle a windfall branch from ya local park, pot up and decorate.

Didn't buy Deccies. Cut up newspapers and coloured paper (saved throughout the year) to make paper chains and strings of holding hands men.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I saw that too it was Home Front.
    They made pressies from a piece of woollen blanket cut into strips (scarves) .
    The gran knitted some little scarves for the kiddies toys from an unravelled jumper.
    The dad carved a wooden bear from a lump of wood.

Cant help thinking simple is better,they had a very peaceful time.

If anyone has read 'little house in the big woods' (Laura Ingals Wilder) there is a lovely description of christmas without TV or packaged foods ,very humbling.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wow, some cool ideas there, sorry i missed that. although i have to say i have knitted barbie a matching hat and scarf this xmas. ;D
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    I hardly ever buy foil anymore, I bought some of those teflon parchments that you use instead for lining your oven tray or putting on your baking trays for cooking chips,biscuits etc.They are excellent as they are non stick and washable.
    I bought one in poundstretcher about 3 years ago which is still going strong and I vowed if I ever saw anymore I would buy them.
    Poundland have them ,they are light brown and come in a little box like short foil comes in.
    You can use them in the microwave too.
    Only thing I'll be using foil for this whole year will be the turkey and its the same packet I bought for last years Turkey.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure