PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

is home baking cheaper?

Options

Comments

• black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Chipps wrote:
    This is a really cheap & easy pudding recipe from an American recipe book called "More with Less" The measurements are american cups, which is the 8oz mark on any measuring jug.

Quick Fruit Cobbler
    Crust begins on the bottom & ends up on the top. Consistency of cobbler varies depending on variety of fruit and amount of juice, but still tastes delicious.
    Preheat oven to 180 C
    Combine in bowl
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup milk
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Pour into 9x 9 inch greased baking pan
    Add
    2 cups fruit - fresh, frozen or canned
    Bake for 40 minutes

I use self raising flour, & don't bother with the baking powder. Also, I am not too fussy about the size of the pan, in fact usually do it in an oval pyrex dish.
    It is not obvious that the ingredients of the cake bit are as simple as they are. I made it yesterday for dessert using a large tin of fruit salad. It was really nice.
    I'm making this tonight so fingers crossed it will be nice for me too
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm going to try this cobbler pud this week - sounds yum.

Had a micro syrup sponge last night, with custard. If you prepare the sponge before you sit down to eat your main course, then you can stick it in your microwave as you start to make the custard. Mine took 6 minutes and fed 7 of us last night. No nasties, good, simple, wholesome cooking.
  • nickinoo
    nickinoo Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    wendyl1967 wrote:
    I have my grandmas original be-ro book from the 50's. The recipes in the new one are virtually the same. It is a great little book.

It you do not feel confident baking, supermarkets have cake mixes for about 12p. (plus an egg needed) You will get twelve buns for that. Maybe try that at first until your confidence builds up.

Can you please tell me where you get cakemix for 12p? I make a lot of my own stuff but find these ideal for using with my 2 year old.
  • black-saturn
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tescos ...
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    My dear Daddy - I have great respect for him, not least 'cos he taught himself to cook after my mum got Alzheimers - used to make a spotted !!!!!! that he reckoned took 4.5 minutes from getting the ingredients out of the cupboard to getting the pudding out of the microwave. Must see if I can get the recipe from him!
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm making this tonight so fingers crossed it will be nice for me too
    I'm going to try this cobbler pud this week - sounds yum.

Hope it is okay! Let me know if you like it!
  • black-saturn
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Chipps wrote:
    Hope it is okay! Let me know if you like it!
    I liked it but I'm not sure if I got the recipe wrong. Was it supposed to be sponge on top with the fruit underneath or a kind of sludgy cake mix with fruit in it? It tastes nice whatever though.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think its supposed to be the sludgy stuff, at least that's what it usually is, with the top browned and spongelike! It is pretty much different every time because the consistency depends on the type of fruit & how much juice it has.
    It's not an elegant dessert!!!!!!! but tastes nice & is very quick & easy to make, and isn't too fussy what fruit you put in - just whatever happens to be laying around in the house! Good with custard.
  • alchemy0
    alchemy0 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of pudding recipes online. Delia seems to have some good recipes at the moment.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/selections/cake-of-the-month,1495,RS.html

I like UK TV food as well.

http://www.uktvfood.co.uk

Much nicer to make your own than buy shop bought (well normally, my cakes can be a bit erratic, but it doesn't stop me trying)

Claire
  • black-saturn
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Chipps wrote:
    I think its supposed to be the sludgy stuff, at least that's what it usually is, with the top browned and spongelike! It is pretty much different every time because the consistency depends on the type of fruit & how much juice it has.
    It's not an elegant dessert!!!!!!! but tastes nice & is very quick & easy to make, and isn't too fussy what fruit you put in - just whatever happens to be laying around in the house! Good with custard.
    OK, I must have done it right then. I used a couple of cheap tins of fruit cocktail.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Debt free since Oct 2004
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills