PPI (Mortgage): Please help!

Options
Hello there

BACKGROUND:
I placed an enquiry with Santander for a deceased relative that had an (1) endowment mortgage early '90s that converted to (2) a discounted rate mortgage in 2001 and then (3) converted to a repayment basis mortgage in 2002. NB: the mortgage was paid off approximately 8-10 years ago.

(1) the endowment mortgage, the person challenged with the assistance of FCA, as she was mis-sold and it was upheld. I still have the documents in relation to this.
(2) and (3) I wrote to Santander providing them with the account no., plus attached letter confirming the conversions plus a copy of their T&C's that stated and made reference to 'existing payment care policy' in relation to both of the converted mortgages.

ISSUE:
Santander have written back to me stating that:
in line with Data Protection Legislation, the account number had been closed for some time and due to this time lapse, they no longer hold this data. Historical information is only retained if there is a legitimate reason for processing the data. Thus, in line with their policy of retentions the original account records were destroyed.

Not sure what to make of this. The only evidence I have to hand, excluding the documents that I had sent to them (as mentioned above), is the FCA correspondence (which does not mention 'paymentcare policy' but does allude to the fact that she was blatantly mis-sold. NB: my enquiry was in relation to the conversions and not to the Endowment, which does not carry a PPI element with it (?).

Not sure what other steps I should take. If anyone could be a guiding light and assist, it would be very welcomed.

Thanking you in advance
:)

Comments

• SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is in line with expected data protection destruction guidelines issued by the FCA. i.e. 6 years from closure.

Also, depending on when the original sale took place (as your post doesnt make that clear) all are before regulation. Whilst the banks have to consider pre-regulation complaints, it does mean that the sales would have taken place on pre-regulation levels of documentation. And in teh case of MPPI, that can be as little as a tick box on the original mortgage application or a single standalone sheet of A4, long destroyed.

Bottom line is that if neither side has evidence of payments being made, then the complaint dies.
  • geofrey
    Options
    I am trying to claim ppi from national home loans but they are not on the list and cannot type their name in
  • NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    geofrey wrote: »
    I am trying to claim ppi from national home loans but they are not on the list and cannot type their name in

https://www.fca.org.uk/ppi/contact-national-home-loans
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    geofrey wrote: »

Did they sell you PPI?
    Was the mortgage arranged by a third party (estate agent, broker or adviser)?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure