Mortgage Overpayment Strategy?

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    In our previous property we occasionally OP'd lump sum money from sharesaves and bonuses (this was back in late 1990s/ early 2000s).

We've been here since late 2005 and had nothing like sharesaves and bonuses in that time -our first OP was rounding up the monthly payment to the next 100 - from memory the required payment was £865. xx and we paid £900/ mth, making the OP £34.xx/ mth. We then increased this gradually by £50/£100 a month until we were paying £1500/ mth (by which time our required payments were obviously lower than £865, due to the accumulation of OPs) I never once changed the term of the mortgage and only lowered the monthly payment down when my husband was out of work for a considerable time (even then I kept it rounded up to the nearest £100 - maning the grand sum of £5.94 a month was being OP'd! :D - psychologically it was important to me to pay something extra, however small)

Other ways we OP'd - 'extra' money - cashback, flebay, car boot sales, nearly new sales, facebook sales - all rounded up to the next £5 and paid off. Also saved £2 coins and anything 20p or less and paid these directly off the mortgage. All of this was an easy way to make (small and irregular) OPs without noticing any difference. We also moved from a fixed rate to SVR at some point (maybe 7 years in to living here?) and kept it there as it worked well for us by then.

OH's current account (at Ll) has a 'save the change' facility - if you use your debit card it will sweep the extra to a savings account to round the transaction up - so a debit card transaction of £6.25 will mean a 75p sweep to the savings account. I used to then round these up and pay them off the mortgage at the end of the month - usually anywhere between £10 - £20.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Aliliva
    Aliliva Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm doing a combination of the approaches above, mainly because I just started my mortgage journey and haven't figured out which one is the best approach for my circumstances :)
    Basically, I'm rounding up my payment to the nearest hundreds, paying half of my OT/bonus/any unexpected lump of money, and rounding down my accounts to the next 00s once a week, moving the spare change to the mortgage.

I'm not sure this mix and match approach is very sensible, and I'm probably not OP-ing as much as I could, but I'm trying to keep on living a good live (carpe diem and so on), saving for a new kitchen, re-building my emergency pot to a nice 6 months expenditures level, keeping 1k stashed away for service charge at the end of the year, and probably some more :D I just hope my mortgage is lower than 60% LTV by the time the fix is over and interest rates are higher
    GC £~~/300
  • helibob
    helibob Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    When we first got our mortgage, we had a think about whether to get a 5 year fix, or a lower 2 year fix. My boss at the time said to me something along the lines of that interest rates wouldn't go through the roof in 2 years. We could pay what we would on a 5 year fix for 2 years, and LTV would be lower when we came to re-mortgage, so we would likely get a similar rate, even if rates did rise. So that's what we did. Put the extra £150 a month that we'd have paid in interest on the 5 year fix and when it came time to re-mortgage, interest rates had actually dropped, our LTV was better too, and we then took a 5 year fix (which we chose to do, as I was looking to change jobs and wanted to reduce financial uncertainty) at about the same rate as our 2 year had been, but because of the reduced balance, our payments were about £50 a month less, so now we overpay £200 a month.

Sometimes we put a but more in, but there's no real strategy behind that...
  • kev2009
    kev2009 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Just to clarify, if your on a fixed rate and make a over payment, the following month does the usual amount come out or has the monthly amount reduced a bit due to the over payment? I can overpay 10% a year but i'm finding on my spreadsheet that if i overpay say £50 a month and then towards end of the year want to pay a larger sum as a one off lump sum, I presume i calculate it as (x amount owing * 10%)- all £50 a month payments so as not to go over my 10% cap each year right?

Reason I ask is I initially set my spreadsheet to keep everything the same and it lowered the term so it gave me a figure in mind of what i'd have at the end of my 5 year fixed rate mortgage BUT if i change it to reduce Monthly amount then the figure increases by approx £600 even though i'm paying of £50 each month and then a lump sum to make the total over payment 10% for last 2 years of mortgage. Not the end of the world but i kinda had my mind set on the figure i initially though i'd be at. This obviously then increase what i would be at at the end of my next 5 year fixed which works out at approx 5k more than i'd of hoped so I might need to re-look at this at some point. Not to mention different calculators/spreadsheet give me different answers...

I prefer to make a one of lump sum payment each year as that way i keep the money to hand and if something happens, i can use that money to tied me over etc as if i over pay and then loose my job, and i tell the mortgage company they wont care what I've over paid they still want there monthly payment.

Kev
  • turtlemoose
    turtlemoose Posts: 1,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It can be a bit of everything surely, whatever suits you at the time?

When there's a surplus in my monthly budget, I like to increase my DD by a set amount.

When I have 'spends' money left at the end of the month, I sometimes like to OP that.

When I get money from cashback sites or bank account perks, or selling things... I might have a takeaway....or I might OP it.
  • Mr_Curious
    Mr_Curious Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all. Some really interesting experiences here
  • Aliliva
    Aliliva Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kev2009 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, if your on a fixed rate and make a over payment, the following month does the usual amount come out or has the monthly amount reduced a bit due to the over payment?

it should depend a bit from your bank and product. For instance, mine doesn't count OP towards payment holidays and doesn't reduce the monthly amount unless I overpay more than 1k in one instalment
    GC £~~/300
  • Retter
    Retter Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kev2009 wrote: »
    Are you reducing your term or monthly payments Retter?

Kev

Term. My standard payment started at £481 and I asked them to round it up to £500 (a fan of round numbers) and I just make the overpayments to reduce the total as much as I want, or feel comfortable with. At the minute I’m making every effort to reduce the balance by £1000 p/m but if I’m struggling a bit I will just pay the monthly interest as an overpayment. My minimum payment is down around £440 now but as I say, I have asked the lender to take £500.

Someone on here talked about round numbers and I have really taken that on board. I find having 0, 00 or 000 at the end of my balance very helpful.
  • kev2009
    Options
    I agree Retter, I prefer whole numbers also but at the moment, I've left my standard payments at what they have set it to as being my first home i have purchased, I've had other expenses etc so hence no over payments to date, i just let it run its course as they wanted it to.

Interesting to read that you can set the DD to be a certain amount each month, i thought the bank altered the DD to the new required payment and then you had to then make an additional payment each month, i might see if they will leave my DD as is then :)

I'm with Santander and I can overpay 10% of the outstanding amount each year. If i pay any more then I get hit with a charge. My aim is to try offset any potential interest rate rises as much as possible :)

I am leaning on the side of reducing Monthly payment rather than term at the moment, might then change to reduce the term after my next 5 years, will have to review closer to that time.

kev
  • kev2009
    Options
    Also, does anyone know why Santander don't seem to have 60% LTV interest rate now? The lowest seems to be 75%...

Kev
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport