inheritance tax

Options
Hi
My mum died in 2016 and we have inherited the house and are due to pay a hefty inheritance tax bill with the remains split between the family beneficiaries. I have lived in the property for over 10 years, helping mum out in her last years and do not own another property, Do I still have to pay the full inheritance tax amount or is there any exemption as in ireland the Dwelling House Relief for example. I am 61.
Thanks

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The full amount of IHT is due 6 mths after death but you can pay the amount which relates to property in 10 yearly instalments starting with the 1st instalment 6 mths after death.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]You pay interest on any tax paid after the 1st 6 mths including the future instalments.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]You normally elect to pay by instalments when you 1st fill in the IHT forms so I am not sure what the process to apply later is.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If you have not yet paid any IHT you are at least 18 mths overdue with the 1st instalment, not sure if there is a penalty for that.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If you later sell the property the balance of IHT outstanding becomes payable immediately, you can't continue with the instalments.[/FONT]
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do I still have to pay the full inheritance tax amount or is there any exemption as in ireland the Dwelling House Relief for example. I am 61

You are in the Republic?

Is this relevant?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/cat-exemptions/exemption-for-dwelling-house/index.aspx
  • tonto521
    tonto521 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    We are in UK and are paying IHT in installments but were just wondering if there was any type of exemption for living in the home at 61 and looking after mum before she died. I saw Ireland have a dwelling relief exemption and wondered whether we had anything similar in UK?
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Presume you have used up your father's IHT allowance as well ?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tonto521 wrote: »
    We are in UK and are paying IHT in installments but were just wondering if there was any type of exemption for living in the home at 61 and looking after mum before she died. I saw Ireland have a dwelling relief exemption and wondered whether we had anything similar in UK?
    the answer is no there is not
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    There is now if they had managed to survive to April 2017...
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have lived in the property for over 10 years, helping mum out in her last years and do not own another property

I'm no expert but have a recollection that there was a special deal when a child had been a living-in carer. Is this a thing of the past?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • tonto521
    tonto521 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. Yes we did use up fathers IHT allowance. Do we also have to pay capital gains tax once the house sells?
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Thank you. Yes we did use up fathers IHT allowance. Do we also have to pay capital gains tax once the house sells?

Yes but only on the difference between the value at death and the value when sold which should be pretty small. And you will each have your CGT allowance. So normally no CGT is paid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure