child maintenace cash only payments

Hi all,
My partners son has 2 children with his ex girlfriend, ages 1 and 4, He is doing the right thing and supporting his children financially, the problem is she will only accept cash from him, she has refused to give him any bank details so he can pay directly into her bank (and so have a record of payments)

As things stand there is no record of him paying anything towards his children.

I suggested paying her by cheque so there is a record that way, I also believe she would soon get fed up of having to cash these and so hand over the bank details so he can pay directly from the bank and obviously have some record of payments.

The only problem with that approach is he is so far in debt I doubt any bank would give him a cheque book.

my fear is that he will continue to pay for his children and at some point in the future she will come out and say he hasn't paid a thing, hence the cash only situation, and then get chased for more money from whoever has taken over from the CSA.

He received a txt from the "CSA" the other day saying "We have been given your file because you are not paying enough child maintenance", A quick Google of the senders number came up with results from her boyfriend facebook page, reaffirming my belief she will try to get more money from him.

My question is, how else could he protect himself by making sure there is a financial record of what he has paid in child maintenance.

Neil

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You should've known it was fake because the CSA doesn't exist....

Which is where basic research comes into it, which would then also throw up the fact that arrears only start from the date of the claim.
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    He can apply to the Child Maintenance Service himself. There will be a £20 fee.

Might be a good idea to do this so that they can never say he is refusing to pay. He should ask to be put on direct pay and she will be asked for her bank details for him to do this. So when he pays direct by bank transfer he can label all payments ‘child maintenance’ which will then show up on his bank statement.

There will be no arrears going via the CMS as it starts from date of application.
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    He should be able to get a basic bank account at least.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    First thing he should do is check on the CMS website that what he is paying is fair. If they are doing things like that (trying to scam him for more cash) then he may be overpaying already. If he is overpaying or paying close to the correct amount (likely or she would be making a claim herself) then he can do one of two things:
    1. Just stop paying and force her to make a claim. They wont backdate it further than the date she claims.
    2. Start the claim himself.

Either way just giving cash to her isnt really a great idea.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    landie wrote: »
    My partners son has 2 children with his ex girlfriend, ages 1 and 4, He is doing the right thing and supporting his children financially, the problem is she will only accept cash from him

If he won't take the advice in other posts about going to the CMS, at least get a notebook and write clearly "Child Maintenance Payments" and get her to sign for the amount each week.
  • Hi All and thank you for your replies and suggestions,

He has a bank which his wages are paid into but I doubt they would give him a cheque book (I wouldn't give him one any way knowing the amount of debt he owes)

I have suggested stopping paying her to force her hand but all he thinks is his children are suffering so he is reluctant to go down that route either.

I will try to get him to the Child Maintenance Service, I don't know where he got the figures from for what he should be paying but i would imagine his fear is that he will end up paying more that he currently is making it even harder to pay off his debt and moving on with his life.

Neil
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Could he pay by postal order? There's a fee, but probably less than the 20% surcharge for CMS collect and pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure