Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies

After my somewhat unpredictable last year I have moved back to the South and am starting my debt free journey from a new start point.

Last year I was unemployed for almost 8 months which unhelpfully coincided with the things I had organised before my unemployment and I didnt want to cancel (the wedding of one of my best friends, my annual trip to Twickenham for a rugby match among them) so my debt managed to increase but not massively.

Unfortunately once employed I left my permanent job after 4 months as I hated it to move back to the Surrey area, which then coincided with a series of somewhat inconvienient events which have conspired to cost me more money than I was happy about - making my very happy I hadn't used the salary I was saving to pay off debt like I should have been doing.

So 4 weeks after making the move for my new job (which I still love despite some tough days) I am getting the keys to my new house tomorrow lunchtime and it's time to start working out a new budget.
It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
Sir Terry Pratchett
Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113

Comments

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    scubaangel wrote: »
    So 4 weeks after making the move for my new job (which I still love despite some tough days) I am getting the keys to my new house tomorrow lunchtime and it's time to start working out a new budget.

Happy new diary, and happy new house!
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Thanks Z

Just had the automated phone call from my bank, they're clearly worried I've been hacked this afternoon after setting up a payment to my friends for their old car (a Y plate KA), direct debit for internet access (to be installed early January), and the rent standing order as well as transferring my deposit and first months rent for the house last week!

Bank account status. Depleted.

Still need to sort out new tax for the car and call my insurance company to get it covered, saving that for tomorrow as I can change my address at the same time and see what their latest insulting offer for my Fiesta will be.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    Thanks Z

Just had the automated phone call from my bank, they're clearly worried I've been hacked this afternoon after setting up a payment to my friends for their old car (a Y plate KA), direct debit for internet access (to be installed early January), and the rent standing order as well as transferring my deposit and first months rent for the house last week!

Well that is at least understandable. I used to get my card suspended if I had the temerity to buy a £3 game, a £5 game and a £4 game in the same day. Yes, I know, last of the big spenders...

Thankfully Lloyds TSB don't exist any more - even so, I swapped accounts.
    Bank account status. Depleted.

But at least you have something to show for it.
    Still need to sort out new tax for the car and call my insurance company to get it covered, saving that for tomorrow as I can change my address at the same time and see what their latest insulting offer for my Fiesta will be.

You may end up melting their minds with so many changes at once.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    Ideally the mind melting will result in a decent offer for the car!
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    So today is moving day.

I have two towels (as Hitch hikers guide says you must always have a towel for things to be ok), four suitcases of clothes, a duvet, and a pair of pillows.

Borrowing an airmattress, and should be picking up the keys to the car this evening when the insurance is transferred after which I'm off to the shops to find a sheet for the mattress, quilt cover and pillowcases, a pan, a mug and some milk to see me through the night and tomorrow morning.

I'm not working on Tuesday either so if I need anything else I'll go out and get it then.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    House keys collected, I've switched on the heating and the fridge so at least it'll be warm when I get back there this evening.

Car insurance changed over, apparently I'm due a refund which was a pleasing surprise given I'm mid claim but I'll wait and see on that one for now.

Can hopefully collect the car from my friends husband this evening when he's home from work at which point I have to tetris my bags in to the back of it and get it unloaded in to the house before going shopping.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    House keys collected, I've switched on the heating and the fridge so at least it'll be warm when I get back there this evening.

Well in lieu of a card...

happy+new+home+mail+2.jpg
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    I discovered yesterday that there is only so long a girl can listen to her own music collection before boredom sets in so I walked in to town and had a charity shop wander - coming home with four dvd's two of which are tv series and two films to keep me occupied for a few hours!

I've also realised that the bathroom has no mirror so am looking at frameless and fairly lightweight mirrors I can fix to the wall with removable sticky strips until I get around to asking the landlord permission to get one more permanently fixed to the wall.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    First Anniversary
    OK am still alive.

Still have no internet at the house.

But am now home in the north for Christmas.

The drive was painful, the problem with driving a KA is that it is a KA.....

Upside there are a nice pile of free books waiting for me to open them and start reading. Naturally the downside is that I already have at least 30 books waiting to be read.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    OK am still alive.

And life still good?
    Still have no internet at the house.

But am now home in the north for Christmas.

The drive was painful, the problem with driving a KA is that it is a KA.....

What's wrong with a Ka?
    Upside there are a nice pile of free books waiting for me to open them and start reading. Naturally the downside is that I already have at least 30 books waiting to be read.

No time like Christmas - it's not like there will be anything on the telly...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport