Solaredge Optimizer/Optimisers any experience retrofitting ?

Options
Chris_Type_R
Chris_Type_R Posts: 177 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 6 August 2018 at 5:02PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
Hi

We purchased a property with a 2011 install (top FIT) in 2015. Recently I've roused myself to start monitoring the performance of this. The install cost £14.5k at the time for a 2kW install and pays about £600pa. I suspect the elderly couple who lived here before were taken advantage of - the install suffers from shading by a large Silverbirch from 12:30 until 16:30. On the paperwork our annual estimate is 1738 kWh.

The tree is not ours to remove - even if it was, I doubt I'd remove it, if it was. SolarEdge Optimizers seem to offer a solution for dealing with the shade.

It looks like I could purchase 9 optimizers and a SolarEdge Key, retaining the existing inverter. In order to fit the optimizers, I believe the panels would need to be removed. This is on a ground floor part of our house, so no major requirement for scaffolding. https://www.solaredge.com/uk/products/retrofit/power-optimizer-indop/#/

Does anyone have an experience of retrofitting as described, and if so, how much of a solution this might be ?

We're based in Central Beds/North Herts.

Cheers
Chris
Central Beds, 2.02kWp (9 x 225W) south facing with some morning shade, installed 2011 (£7.16/Wp). Tigo monitoring/optimisers on all panels, Growatt MIC 2000 TL-X Inverter and Solar iBoost installed 2022. (4 x 415W + 6 x 405W garden experiment connected to SunSynk 3.6 hybrid inverter & 2 x 5.3kWh SynSynk batteries) (4 x 405W panels queued to go somewhere)

Comments

• theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bodgitt & Scarper didn't take my concerns about shading from the chimney into account.

I went the whole hog and replaced the inverter and fitted optimisers.
    The optimisers came of fleabay from a failed commercial project, the solaredge 3500 came from a solar supplier clearing old stock.
    All covered by solaredge warranty as none had been registered.
    I also got a solaredge key with the optimisers.
    The difference in montoring and performance made a huge difference - still have P300 optimisers if you want some!?
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • Chris_Type_R
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. If you have 9 P300s I might be interested - otherwise I'd try and keep them all the same.

Was this something that you DIY'ed or did you have to find an installer to retrofit ? If the latter, was it easy to find someone and was it a reasonable cost ?
    Central Beds, 2.02kWp (9 x 225W) south facing with some morning shade, installed 2011 (£7.16/Wp). Tigo monitoring/optimisers on all panels, Growatt MIC 2000 TL-X Inverter and Solar iBoost installed 2022. (4 x 415W + 6 x 405W garden experiment connected to SunSynk 3.6 hybrid inverter & 2 x 5.3kWh SynSynk batteries) (4 x 405W panels queued to go somewhere)
  • Chris_Type_R
    Chris_Type_R Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 August 2018 at 9:26PM
    Options
    I have an image of my current performance BTW:

https://ibb.co/gyuJ6K
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My install was like that but in reverse, loads of gen in the morning then fell off a cliff after 1'ish (mine are sse facing)

Yes all P300, all with the tails & plugs etc. They litterally drop in bewteen current connections. You can borrow the solaredge key whilst you are fitting them if that helps?
    Shout me for pics etc.

I eventually went back to my original installer - that was a tale an' all guvnor! - Tunnel knows the full scoop, really annoyed me!! But I wanted to keep any warranty intact.

They quoted me £600 for scaffold and fit only as I already had the kit.
    Boss was at home and rang me to tell me they'd arrived.
    I stopped by around 11'ish in the wet and wind to find no scaffold, a roofer with long ladders and poor Mark up on the roof juggling panels and fitting optimisers!!!

Questioned Paul on the lack of scaffold,

"I'm paying them danger money!!" was the response...

Left and went back to work, the current Mrs theboylard rang me around 3 ish as they had a problem getting the solaredge inverter working, questioned where I bought it from etc.
    They then asked if I wanted them to dispose of the old inverter as it was rubbish now?!!!
    Er, no!, Nothing wrong with it, can be used by someone else on their install without issue!

They sorted the issues with Solaredge and then left the system switched off?

Irrelevant now as they've gone the way of many installers :(

Hardest part I found was finding an installer who wanted to retro fit - but companies who are still in business will be more willing with the current market?

To be honest any competent sparky can do it, as the important bit, the MCS approved insaller, has already been done.

So if you could find said sparky, and a roofer, you'd be sorted I reckon?
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 876 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi
    As you are on the best fit then you should spend some time to see the impact of the shading and where to spend the money.
    yours is on the 25 year roi plan indexed link to rpi.
    regards
  • Chris_Type_R
    Options
    Thanks theboylard. Do you think it was money well spent ?
  • Chris_Type_R
    Options
    gefnew wrote: »
    Hi
    As you are on the best fit then you should spend some time to see the impact of the shading and where to spend the money.
    yours is on the 25 year roi plan indexed link to rpi.
    regards

The array is only 2.02kW so it's hard to know if it's worth throwing min. £750 at it.
  • gefnew
    edited 6 August 2018 at 9:27PM
    Options
    Hi
    As you are on the best fit then you need to observe the affect of the shading over a period of time, then decide what is required as a solution.
    your fit is over 25 years indexed to rpi, you need to look at roi, but you did not pay for the install which changes how you look at it. try pvgis without shading and see the difference
    regards
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    As per the other thread where I linked to my waffle about my small system (1.75kWp), I reckon I might be able to save about £100 per year if you do some guesswork on the generation chart in the document. My guess was about 400kWh per year at 16p or so making £65 FiT plus own consumption of the extra generation.

With 2kWp you might get perhaps 500kWh depending on the shading times and extent, so squeeze £300 plus per year if your FiT is 50p (not sure what it is at the highest levels these days). If that is the case you may have a payback of only two or three years making it nearly a no-brainer compared to my 7 to 10 years depending on the cost.
  • gefnew
    Options
    Hi pinks
    is your panel easy to get at or would you need scaffold etc or some other means all add to the calcs.
    regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport