Husband bankrupt and Trustee wants to sell our house??!!!??

Options
167891012»

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    100k, do you know this person,will a charge go on your house what do they want from the lend ?? what are the terms you may find yourself worse off...Sounds iffy to me

Beyond iffy to me.

Someone anonymously posts with a debt problem and a knight
    in shining armour offers 100k in response??????
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Beyond iffy to me.

Ahem, cough, I need £50k to ahem, repatriate myself to Spain. Loans via PMs welcome.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that isn't grounds for divorce which include adultery, abandonment, unreasonable behaviour etc. I'm sure you can get all of thme by googling, but I'm certain avoiding debts is not one of them.

This means they lied on their declarations and have never been found out.

In this digital age it's much harder to keep the truth under wraps than 10 years ago i.e. anyone putting a photo of them together on facebook or instagram could blow their cover.

How about faking your own death, moving to panama, then featuring in a holiday brochure?
    " Nul points"
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Beyond iffy to me.

Some weird contrived money laundering scheme?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GSDlover wrote: »
    It!!!8217;s not that odd for a wife to not work at all and be !!!8216;traditional!!!8217; with the set-up. It!!!8217;s just the media that makes out all marriages have both parties working full time etc. I!!!8217;ve been married 31years and I don!!!8217;t work! We have no kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats. I look after the house, the husband, our money and am almost CEO of our life which has been very successful. I paid off our joint mortgage in our 40!!!8217;s, we have healthy savings, etc. etc. In fact, I think one of the reasons for the high divorce rate nowadays is women working. Just our opinion but like I say, we!!!8217;ve been happily married 31 years and I!!!8217;m hardly the little woman at home. I look after it all, he just earns it. He told me when we got married he wanted a wife at home, it works for many, very successfully.

Correlation is not causation. A Stepford Wife existence undoubtedly made many women unhappy in the past but they were trapped in marriage and unable to divorce (in par due to lack of money) hence in part why divorce rates were lower. Divorce rates are higher now for a multitude of reasons, women having financial independence and not relying on a husband to provide for them is not one of the significant factors.
  • qwert_yuiop
    edited 7 August 2018 at 10:59AM
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Correlation is not causation. A Stepford Wife existence undoubtedly made many women unhappy in the past but they were trapped in marriage and unable to divorce (in par due to lack of money) hence in part why divorce rates were lower. Divorce rates are higher now for a multitude of reasons, women having financial independence and not relying on a husband to provide for them is not one of the significant factors.

Is one of the significant factors?

Anyone seen that terrible old film "Brief encounter "? An intelligent woman whose only outlet was a trip to the library. Sad stuff.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GSDlover wrote: »
    It’s not that odd for a wife to not work at all and be ‘traditional’ with the set-up. It’s just the media that makes out all marriages have both parties working full time etc. I’ve been married 31years and I don’t work! We have no kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats. I look after the house, the husband, our money and am almost CEO of our life which has been very successful. I paid off our joint mortgage in our 40’s, we have healthy savings, etc. etc. In fact, I think one of the reasons for the high divorce rate nowadays is women working. Just our opinion but like I say, we’ve been happily married 31 years and I’m hardly the little woman at home. I look after it all, he just earns it. He told me when we got married he wanted a wife at home, it works for many, very successfully.

That's fine but you have only experienced success. OP's husband has had deep financial troubles for years. What would you do in those circumstances? Wouldn't you want to know and to help? If not, then maybe 'little woman at home' actually does have some resonance.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It!!!8217;s not that odd for a wife to not work at all and be !!!8216;traditional!!!8217; with the set-up.
    This is absolutely fine IF you can afford it and clearly you can, however the OP is about to lose their house, so it has been suggested that this set-up should be re-considered. I think that's good advice if you cannot afford to live on one salary.
    BTW - it's not necessarily the same financially for people now as it was for you when you started out 31 years ago. People are facing higher house prices/rents, worse job prospects, less secure employment, fewer jobs for life/good careers, students debts and high pension contributions required dir to increasing logevity i.e. you have had it better than some purely due to when you were born.

Its not a moral judgment at all to say that if you can't afford a certain lifestyle then you need to cut your cloth to suit.
    It applies to everyone at every level on income and is nothing to do with gender.
    If you can't afford it - you can't have it - simples.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You keep saying you dont work.

Why dont you work.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Tinks74
    Tinks74 Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Yes indeed - then there is the Insolvency Service Case Management Fee - just over £2k last time I looked - but then..... the biggest robbery of all is when the IP is appointed to 'dispose of the property'. I have seen IP fees typically £30 - 40k and up to £70k simply for handling the sale and a few frills.
    DD

To be fair it is disingenuous to say the IP deals with "a few frills", the Official Receiver does not do all of the work that an IP is required by law to do, the Insolvency Rules even state that they have much longer time periods to complete work than an IP.

The Official Receiver regularly gives hospital passes to IPs of Bankruptcy cases that are often only weeks away from the use it or lose it three year property deadline because they have failed to deal with the matter in a timely manner, fully expecting the IP to then come in and sort it out before the expiration of the deadline.

This is why it sometimes appears that the requests come out of the blue to the Bankrupt and their families.

The other thing to remember is that it is possible for an IP to take on a Bankruptcy case and receive no remuneration if assets fail to realise funds for whatever reason, yet they are obliged by law to complete reports and tasks for which they will not get paid. The first person to get paid in a Bankruptcy is the OR, they make sure of that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure