Ferrous Sulphate 200mg tablets

Options

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would see a doctor again and try to give the girls more foods which naturally contain iron.

Another point: Are you sure that they have iron deficiency anaemia ?

I had it as a child and was given a short course of iron tablets, but now I have pernicious anaemia, which needs regular injections of vitamin B12, that have to be done by the practice nurse.
  • Alisonvainlo
    Options
    I was quoted £28 for 100 tablets in Asda today! They too said they had been undercharging and that was the reason for the hike. Suspiciously, Boots and Superdrug have both been out of Ferrous Sulphate for the past 2 weeks, which is why I went to Asda. I was advised to get them on prescription. I think this needs investigating, this kind of price hike is totally unacceptable.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I get those same tablets on prescription from my doctor.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • abisan777
    Options
    I had the same problem last month- Boots wanted to charge me £22 for a box of 28. I ended up getting of the bus home from work several stops early to go to my local independent pharmacy- £3.25 for 60 tablets.

It's definitely worth getting rechecked-if nothing else, shouldn't someone be figuring out why your daughter keeps becoming anaemic? If she does need it monthly, it might be worth looking at a prescription prepayment card- she'd need 13 lots of medicine (28 days each) and a year card is £104 which saves £2 but more if she has any more prescriptions in a year.
  • Bellisima
    Bellisima Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Such a con! Lloyds chemist (including Sainsbury's) told me price had gone up to £20 for 100 tablets due to an increase in the price of base product! I didn't believe them. I've found Tescos and Morrisons as well as my local chemist charge £3.05 for 60 tablets. You have to ask at the chemist counter as they are not on the shelf, something to do with dangers of overdosing, I think. Fair enough.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Looking online, I did find a warning document created by Sunderland health authority warning it's medical practitioners of a big increase in the cost of these tablets and recommending some alternatives to prescribe - so I don't think it is a con by the supermarkets. I can't find anything about WHY the costs have increased so much though - but in my job I do find that these things do happen now and again. Topical anaesthetic (the 'cream' put on before injections) suffered one a few years ago when a product was reformulated.

You'll probably find that places where it's still cheap will also put their prices up once they have to re-order stock.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    A lot of drug prices increase exponentially after the acquisition of the drug by vulture funds. Some like daraprim increased from 13.50 to 750 dollars a tablet overnight.

However, ferrous sulphate has industrial applications that account for 80 percent of its use, namely water filtration, fertilizer, animal feed and as a catalyst. It is due to the increased demand in feedstuff and fertilizer.

As alternative catalysts like hydrochloride have increased price, ferrous sulphate is taking over this function. The demand has risen for it in industries not linked to pharmaceuticals. http://www.futuremarketinsights.com/reports/ferrous-sulfate-market

It appears increased global demands for safe water and fertilizer has increased demand in line with increasing wealth has forcing pharmaceuticals to pay more for the raw material. It is not the fault of big pharma but a reflection of increasing standards of living globally.

I do not think it will get cheaper any time soon
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I have Ferrous sulphate 200mg tabs prescribed but got them over the counter for £4.80 for 80 only last week.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • rustyhead
    rustyhead Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Just bumping this anyone purchased ferrous sulfate recently just wondering what the price for it is now
    tia
    rusty
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Purchased 6 x 100 tubs for £12.99 at the end of last year
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure