Working part time and receiving benefits

Options
Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I have recently gone back to work full time after having a year off due to a car crash and I am still struggling with my injuries and I have had to have quite a few days off recently.

I was wondering is it possible to reduce my hours at work but make up my pay in some sort of benefit? I cant really afford to reduce my hours and be paid less as I have bills to pay but I am also in pain and finding it difficult to work full time at the moment.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

Comments

• mikeyr01
    mikeyr01 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

does anyone know if there is a better place for this thread to go?

thanks
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you get any compo from the claim?
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • paddedjohn
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You might be better posting this on the benefits board, the cab rarely answer on here.
  • mikeyr01
    mikeyr01 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi John

I have just recieved an interim payment so far.

Thanks
  • paddedjohn
    First Anniversary
    Options
    AFAIK if you cant work you can claim some sort of sickness benefits but these would have to be paid back once your claim is sorted.
    For a more thorough answer to your problem you are better off posting on the benefits boards, there are loads of people who can help on there
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    Options
    mikeyr01 wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I have recently gone back to work full time after having a year off due to a car crash and I am still struggling with my injuries and I have had to have quite a few days off recently.

I was wondering is it possible to reduce my hours at work but make up my pay in some sort of benefit? I cant really afford to reduce my hours and be paid less as I have bills to pay but I am also in pain and finding it difficult to work full time at the moment.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

HI

There are 2 ways to look at this problem .

1 Ask you employer to see what help adjustments they can make to your terms and conditions of work and environment in order to help you to carry out your duties given the problems you are experiencing. This might negate the need to reduce your hours either in full or part. Employers are bound by law to make adjustments for qualifying individuals
    see : http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/advice-and-guidance/guidance-for-employers/the-duty-to-make-reasonable-adjustments-for-disabled-people/

Talk to the Equality and Human Rights helpline on 0845 604 6610
    for more information

2. benefits : there are a number of means tested benefits that you might potentially be eligible depending upon the income of yourself and your partner ( if you have one ) such as Working Tax credit or even housing /council tax benefits. Visit your local CAb for a benefit check taking details of your current income ( and that of your partner ) and savings and they can look into it for you. This is not the forum for a detailed assessment of what they might be. Also it is possible to do an on-line check at the site below which would potentially give you an idea of what you are entitled to.
    http://www.turn2us.org.uk/
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure