Apprentice, 17, bullied at work...

Options

Comments

• xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    Not advising it but if some guy/s made my son break down i'd take matters into my own hands, or make a few phone calls.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps show the 'knob' customer the text?
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately, it does. Workers have few rights in short term employment, and even less so with issues that cannot be proven.
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Well actually it does.
    What will ACAS do? the OPs son had basically no rights whatsoever.
    The guy is a scum bag, but that doesn't mean there's action possible. (except voting with your feet)

Really?

https://www.gov.uk/workplace-bullying-and-harassment

Like z1a says, maybe a bit of retaliation bullying is in order then, if harassment is a free-for-all these days?
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Really?

https://www.gov.uk/workplace-bullying-and-harassment

Like z1a says, maybe a bit of retaliation bullying is in order then, if harassment is a free-for-all these days?

What part of the linked page do you think means the OP's son can do anything about it?
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    We work in "the trades", and I have heard a lot worse than that on building sites etc, I simply give as good as I get.

Will be interesting to see what happens when this guy loses his gopher though. Sounds like to him an apprentice is simply a cheap way of getting an assistant.

To me it sounds like your son needs to take this as a lesson learned and find another employer ASAP, but not to expect that it will not all be moonlight and roses. He needs to develop a thick skin.

As for calling clients things like knob, I have heard that on many occasions, but then when the client is around they are polite and respectful towards them. Clients get called all things under the sun, especially when they change their mind at an inconvenient time, and many of them would expect this, but so long as they are treated respectfully when they are in contact with the business then all is well. Sounds like being nasty behind their backs, but it really is not, it is a way to let off steam and get rid of the frustrations of the job.

Just one note, I am female. You can imagine what I have to put up with on building sites, but I give as good as I get, maybe your son needs to do the same?

Sending your son into a loft without protective clothing though, is not acceptable. But would it not be an idea for your son to get things like a face mask in case this happens again? They are not expensive, and, so long as your son is not in shorts and a T shirt, would really be all he needs to protect against the insulation, gloves might just make his job harder.

As for working through lunch, we often do that just for the sake of getting the job done on time.

As for drilling through plasterboard, your son must have been able to hear him drilling on the other side, what on earth was he doing with his hand directly on the plasterboard? Assuming this was in the form of a wall, then he could not see through it, and you simply do not have any part of your body in contact with a wall when someone is drilling through it :eek:

Actually, reading this through, you have to ask if your son is really suited to being an electrician? 4 Years is a long time to spend on an apprenticeship if he cannot take what happens on building sites etc, not sure that he would be able to run a business on the basis of just small jobs in peoples's houses!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    I think it is a fine line in workplaces like this.... You've got people who prefer a hands-on sort of job and, without stereotyping, a fair number have a sort of laddish and *rough* way about them.

Not justifying it like, but calling a customer a "knob" and "tools" behind their back is not surprising to me... Also, the pay docking may be justified if your son has been making a hash of the job and not learning (employers like this usually have one style of teaching, and if you don't show progress they think you aren't cut out for the job).

As practical advice I would suggest that your son become a bit thick-skinned if he wishes to pursue a career in this role because this sort of behaviour (in a milder form) may be fairly common in this line of work, but on this occasion I fully agree with what other posters have said and sounds like a lot of lines have been crossed.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    I think it is a fine line in workplaces like this.... You've got people who prefer a hands-on sort of job and, without stereotyping, a fair number have a sort of laddish and *rough* way about them.

Not justifying it like, but calling a customer a "knob" and "tools" behind their back is not surprising to me... Also, the pay docking may be justified if your son has been making a hash of the job and not learning (employers like this usually have one style of teaching, and if you don't show progress they think you aren't cut out for the job).

As practical advice I would suggest that your son become a bit thick-skinned if he wishes to pursue a career in this role because this sort of behaviour (in a milder form) may be fairly common in this line of work, but on this occasion I fully agree with what other posters have said and sounds like a lot of lines have been crossed.

I'm surprised it's surprising to anyone. I'm sure I've been called worse than that and I've probably consumed a bit of waiter spit over the years too.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If any semi-formal action is contemplated, such as calling ACAS, perhaps best to get a new job first, let things settle, then get on with a new apprenticeship in a more congenial atmosphere, and put it down to experience.

It might be, in the future, he could be an employer and will remember his time with this person and treat his employees rather better.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    What part of the linked page do you think means the OP's son can do anything about it?

The "They could also call the Acas helpline for advice" bit.

They were very helpful when my stepdaughter was being treated unfairly by a single owner business because she thought she could treat trainees any way she liked.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Just one thing. A lot of businesses in any locale are linked, through various business clubs, or simply because they work together or are in contact for when they have big contracts etc.

I don't want to say this, but if he is seen to rock the boat, or complain about things that are seen as "normal", he may find it more difficult to find another apprenticeship.

So, as LadyDee says, it is a good idea to find another apprenticeship before he does anything serious, and to get settled in that.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport