Apprentice, 17, bullied at work...

Options
CGG
CGG Posts: 746 Forumite
... Thanks for the replies and suggestions put forward.

I've deleted my OP as it resulted in me receiving a PM from a less than helpful member, causing me offence.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What do you expect to be done.

The guy runs his own business, there is no-one you could complain to
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,533 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The only practical advice is for your son to get out of there as soon as possible. The college have done what they can by providing a list of potential employers. It's now up to your son to put the effort into contacting them and moving on. There is little or nothing to be done directly against the current employer as everything will be one persons word against another.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    What do you expect to be done.

The guy runs his own business, there is no-one you could complain to

It still doesn't mean he can treat people like !!!!!! though.

OP - have you tried contacting ACAS?
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    He needs to get out and put this bad experience behind him. He's taken action by ensuring no one else will be placed with this electrician, and that's something he should be praised for.

He should be aware though that there is always going to be a certain amount of banter in the trades and he'll need to develop a thicker skin if that's what he wants to do. That's not to say that bullying is acceptable - it isn't - but there will always be a level of taking the mick out of each other and out of customers. It wouldn't be an environment I would be comfortable in, it's up to your son whether it works for him or not.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Unfortunately, it does. Workers have few rights in short term employment, and even less so with issues that cannot be proven.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options

Well actually it does.

What will ACAS do? the OPs son had basically no rights whatsoever.

The guy is a scum bag, but that doesn't mean there's action possible. (except voting with your feet)
  • tgon
    tgon Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Erm, last time I looked, harassment and intimidation over a period of time was a reportable police matter. And no trader is exempt from health & safety at work laws. But l agree with a previous post about calling ACAS for some legal advice. Could be just walking away is the best option. Also, as this in obviously affecting your sons health, your GP would be first port of call. One thing is certain, he is not going to get the apprenticeship he deserves in this employ.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options
    Yes he can follow the advice thats been posted, put the experience behind him and move on.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can his Dad not do a bit of bullying back? Pretty sure I would.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    As above, it!!!8217;s not right, but there!!!8217;s really not likely to be anything that will rescue the situation, so he should probably make the best of it that he can while he looks for something else.

If and when he does find something, I!!!8217;d also suggest taking whatever lessons he can learn from this job. Were there occasions when the criticism was warranted, for example, or could he have done things differently, once he realised the kind of boss that he was working with?

Not that this implies it is his fault in any way, by the way, but it is always useful to look back on good jobs or bad and have a think what could be done in a different way if it happens again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure