Why don't men do core exercises?

Options
I went to a high intensity class this morning. I think it was roughly half men and half women. I stayed on for the core exercises. There were two men and ten women and then he ran off leaving me with ten ladies in lycra. I mean who wants that? You feel like the odd one out. The instructor said one of the exercises would help me look good in a bikini? I wasn't impressed by that. I thought core exercises were supposed to be important.

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is a core exercise?
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Abs, try planking for 60 seconds see what your core muscle strength is like.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    it was roughly half men and half women. I stayed on for the core exercises. There were two men and ten women and then he ran off leaving me with ten ladies

Well which one was it?

I dont think you can make assumptions on man kind based on the actions of somwhere between one and five men.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The HIT is only for 30 mins. Very popular with men & women. Then they start the core exercises and I think oh good that'll do me good. All the men then run out. Should I just follow them and accept it's only for women?
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Well, it is not only for women that's for sure. Perhaps they prefer to exercise on the gym floor rather than a core class? Why is it so important to you? Just do it if you wish to work your core.
    ally.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So your instructor has the emotional intelligence of a gnat.

So long as they can guide you through learning the exercises and prevent you doing yourself harm, worth sticking with for a few weeks and then mentioning to the gym management - if the unthinking sexism continues.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's complex why anybody is in any particular class. If a class has two activities many people will only be interested in one part. Maybe the other men had better things to do with their time.

Don't you want to look good in a bikini? :)
  • Lukoind
    Lukoind Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Probably, because most men get lower back pain, while doing core exercises. As this case is mine and I'm trying to fix sitting posture by strengthening glutes in order to do core exercises without pain.
  • AirJoe
    AirJoe Posts: 62 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2017 at 12:24PM
    Options
    I mean, it's got to be better than looking bad in a bikini, right?

The psychology of exercise is complex but it basically comes down perceived outcomes aligning with personal goals. What do you see as being the outcome of the ab class? Flatter stomach? Six pack? The ability to stand or lie completely rigid for minutes at a time? If you think those will be the outcomes and one or more of those aligns with your personal goals then you're more likely to attend.

It sounds like the blokes in your class either don't share your goals or don't believe the class will achieve the same things that you do.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    if the unthinking sexism continues.

What sexism? How do you know fred wouldn't look good in a bikini if he keeps working on the six-pack?

Anyway, the answer to the OP's question is clearly that women have more endurance than men and the poor lambs are all knackered after half an hour's rigorous training. If he is afraid that everyone will suspect him of being a pervert for being the only man in a room full of women doing downward dog, then my advice is to go in drag.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure