Can I ask for redundancy if workload has decreased?

Options

Comments

• John_Chip
    Options
    I think the true situation is that the company is near to broke and it cannot afford to make me or anyone else redundant - so it will eventually go bust and the government will pick up the tab and pay the redundancy bill. Meanwhile I will wait for that to happen as if I resigned now I would be gutted if my colleagues of equal service all picked up redundancy payments.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    If you've been there for 10 years you must know the company well - can't you look round and carve out a niche for yourself elsewhere in the firm?

Alternatively, rather than doing nothing, why not use your downtime to study independently and improve your qualifications?
  • John_Chip
    Options
    It is a small company - I carved out my niche over ten years with a lot of effort.

I would like to move on - a lot easier with a 10k cushion.

Bottom line - my company cannot afford to make me redundant and I’m not walking away with nothing after 10 years of work.

Front line austerity UK.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    What a b****y stupid attitude to take.

So you feel that because you’ve been there 10 years you deserve something in redundancy payments.

I don’t know how old you are but you do realise you won’t get what the company should have paid you don’t you?

Personally if the company is so close to going under I’d be looking at the job ads very carefully - but there again I’ve always believed it’s better to know where I’m jumping to rather than be pushed & hope I land safely
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    John_Chip wrote: »
    It is a small company - I carved out my niche over ten years with a lot of effort.

I would like to move on - a lot easier with a 10k cushion.

Bottom line - my company cannot afford to make me redundant and I’m not walking away with nothing after 10 years of work.

Front line austerity UK.

Unless you are paid £1000 a week before stoppages you won't be getting £10k even if you were to receive redundancy pay.
    You would be entitled to 1 weeks pay for every full year between the ages of 22-41 and 1.5 weeks pay thereafter upto a certain max
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2017 at 9:51AM
    Options
    I remember two very disgruntled drivers at my firm, moaning that work was quiet. I had a meeting with them, told them it was quiet, it would change, I couldn't say when.

One chose to leave, one chose to stay. The one that left is one of these 'self-employed truck drivers with no truck of their own' and the other is still with me 6-7 ish years laters.

I had the attitude that I had a commitment to both my drivers to cover their pay even though the firm wasn't earning that much. Maybe your boss feels the same.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    paddedjohn wrote: »
    Unless you are paid £1000 a week before stoppages you won't be getting £10k even if you were to receive redundancy pay.
    You would be entitled to 1 weeks pay for every full year between the ages of 22-41 and 1.5 weeks pay thereafter upto a certain max

On the supposed national average wage of £28k, somebody entitled to 1.5 weeks per year of service would get about £8.5k, so not too far off with the £10k figure.

I can understand the OP's feeling about walking away with nothing, but redundancy money won't last long if a new job isn't found quickly.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    John_Chip wrote: »
    I work for a small company and my workload has greatly decreased in the last 2 years.

I’m literally doing next to nothing some days - which is not healthy or good.

Having been there for 10 years and prospects not looking great I would like to move on.

However My boss seems to have his head in the sand and seems content to pay me to do very little. Chances are I reckon the place will go under in a few years - I would rather get out now.

If my role has dwindled so much can I suggest / force my redundancy?

I would like to get something for my 10 years rather than just leave.
    Clearly your health isn't that important to you if you're only not leaving due to the hope of a payout...
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry but you're not going to get what you want.
    Either stay and wait for a redundancy that might never happen or find a better job elsewhere whilst you have the luxury of finding something that you like
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • steampowered
    Options
    Just because you've been there 10 years doesn't mean you can't find a new job.

Redundancy is there to compensate people for the time they will be out of work.

If circumstances have changed and you are unhappy, it might be time to try and find a new employer. But you don't get paid extra for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure