Marriage tax allownce

Options
Hi
I need some help. I went though the on line process of filling in the marriage tax allownce forms at the end of july 2017. We have got a new tax code but no follow up on back dated allownce! Ive varified my email address but nothing. Does this mean we arent entilied to a back payment?

Thankyou

Linzy :)

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    If you applied then you cannot get a refund, you either pay the same tax or more.

Your spouse is the person who could get a refund but it entirely depends on which tax year(s) you applied for.

Can you confirm which year(s) you applied for?
  • Linzymarie34
    Options
    My husband applied and we back dated for the 2 previous tax years.
    2014/2015 2015/2016 2016/2017

Thankyou
    Linzy
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    If your husband applied then he cannot get a refund, you would be the one entitled to any refund.

Marriage Allowance only started from 2015:16 so unsure how he has applied for a year before it even existed!

Did you pay any tax in 2015:16 and 2016:17?
  • Linzymarie34
    Options
    Yeah i would of paid a small amount as i work part time.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    So you might be limited as to how much refund you are going to get (you cannot get more than the tax you've paid so for example if you only paid £100 in 2016:17 that is the maximum refund you could get for that year).

What isn't clear to be honest is why you haven't received this yet if your husband applied for these tax years back in July last year.

You'll probably have to bite the bullet and phone HMRC to sort it.
  • Linzymarie34
    Options
    Thought i would have to phone. Thankyou for your help
    Linzy
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 March 2018 at 8:33PM
    Options
    If you pay little tax and your spouse made the MAT application - on HIS behalf - then that suggests that he earns even less than you. So - on whose behalf was the application made?

This'll all make more sense if you recognise that you and your spouse are two, independent, tax-payers. When you do, you'll recognise how confusing a statement "We have got a new tax code" is to the rest of us. :)
  • poplar
    poplar Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I am getting ESA benefit allowance
    Can my husband still claim for Marriage tax allowance
    even though im on benefit
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 March 2018 at 5:02PM
    Options
    poplar wrote: »
    I am getting ESA benefit allowance
    Can my husband still claim for Marriage tax allowance
    even though im on benefit

It's your taxable income that affects if MAT is allowed and - more to the point - if it is worth applying for.

Where your taxable pay/pension/benefit comes from doesn't matter - although there are TWO types of ESA, one taxable, the other - income-related - not taxable. Which is yours?

https://www.gov.uk/income-tax/taxfree-and-taxable-state-benefits

Remember, it is generally the one who has the least taxable income who should apply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure