Looking to have a simpler life .......

Options

Comments

• maia_evo
    maia_evo Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello Downshifter and thank you for your diary. I've just started mine and love to read what other people are doing.

You mention wanting to work for yourself. I've been self employed for 8 years. The best bit is you are your own boss. Sadly, that's the worse bit too! Wouldn't change it though and I am definitely unemployable now.

Recommend getting those easy fixes done. I've just switched elec suppliers to save about £350 a year. Food shopping is where I am going to make the biggest savings. I've switched supermarkets and I'm menu planning. I'm estimating at least £100 a month less spent there and more into OP fund.
    Take care of the here and now and the future will be taken care of.
  • Downshifterella
    Options
    Hi wildesavings
    It certainly is tempting, but like you say good to have a bigger goal in mind!! :D what a fab anniversary present for you guys!! :j
    5 years wow be I think the very very earliest but feels do able ( and not so far away that it makes me want to give up!):p

Maia-evo
    Thanks for popping by. Will definitely pop over to your diary to see what you're up to and any tips! Definitely like the idea of being my own boss, but I'm sure there are lots of tricky bits too! If it's ok to ask (down feel you have to answer) what was it that helped you take the leap into self employment?

Fab on the energy savings, switched ours for an almost £300 saving on what we would've been charged, phones and internet changed for updated savings and definitely need to get the food spends reigned in. Satisfying to "shop" from the cupboards sometimes!

Hope you guys have had a good day :)
    MF planning for the simple life :beer::j
  • Downshifterella
    Options
    Happy 1st of September everyone :beer::beer::j
    I love this time of year , it always fills me with hope and plans (moreso than New Years for some reason ( I'm probably still in a mulled wine and too -many-quality-street coma by then! :rotfl::rotfl:)

So.....September goals!
    1) see if we can food shop for £100 ...this is a big reduction but we have stuff we can use up (pasta/rice/tins) and a full freezer drawer! Going to give up my Friday wine to achieve this I think! :eek: dedication if ever I heard it! :D

2) make £50 from Amazon/eBay sales ...no idea if this is possible but have a few things that may sell, so never say never.

3) start looking at remortgage deals (need to sort this out by new year so can't be in too much of a mulled wine coma! Lol)

4) Do 3 runs /exercise.classes a week. Moneysaving by.using what I've paid for, and also great for my health (both physical and mental) which will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow MSE-wise.too!

5) listen to Headspace each day... Again , using something I've paid for, but good for the old brain too!

That'll do for now I reckon! Plans for today from this include 1,3,4 and 5 ...providing it doesn't rain later (for the running!). We have some bendy veg in the fridge that may make soup or a chilli if I grab some mince, and windfall fruit for jam/crumble making! Better get on with it, this goal setting makes for a busy day!

Happy Friday everyone :beer::beer:
  • Poorlittletightgirl
    Options
    Hi Downshifter Ella,

I'm currently in the process of remortgaging and found L&C (who MSE use for their mortgage booklets) to be really helpful, easy and free!

Good luck with your September goals x
  • wildesavings
    Options
    Goals look great! xxx
    Started my MFW journey in August 14 : £103,650
    2019 : £77,900
  • Downshifterella
    Options
    Thanks PLTG I will definitely look into L and C as one of the options! Sounds like you've found a good one there!

Thanks wildesavings, got most things done yesterday, other hand the service! Must keep on top of that one and not let it slip!

Frugal foraging of the garden, trees and cupboards has meant we now have 2 lots of stewed fruit, dinner from freezer last night, lunch for today and tmrw ( including feeding friends both days) and a tub of homemade soup ready for the week!:T:T

Then I got a bit carried away baking wise and attempted a new challenge.....

With slightly OOD cake mix.....let's just say I wouldn't have made bake off! :rotfl::eek:

Have some littler "to co's" on the list for this week but all manageable! Had a play with the OP calculator this morning too and though 4 years would be nice ( but very tight without a lottery win!) 5 years is certainly looking doable so by Christmas 2022 the end will be in sight :beer::j:beer::j

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend xx
  • Betterthanever
    Options
    Have a lovely weekend yourself!!
  • michelle09
    Options
    Great looking September goals. Ditto on the run/exercise classes. Prepaid for a year's membership so it's just a waste. And it's time you can't spend money elsewhere!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good luck with it all....subscribing ;)
  • maia_evo
    Options
    Maia-evo
    Thanks for popping by. Will definitely pop over to your diary to see what you're up to and any tips! Definitely like the idea of being my own boss, but I'm sure there are lots of tricky bits too! If it's ok to ask (down feel you have to answer) what was it that helped you take the leap into self employment?

Hope you guys have had a good day :)

Ask away, very happy to help.
    I had worked my job for nearly 10 years. It had been wonderful but I was getting bored and could sense there were changes ahead. It had been privately owned by active owners who were selling it (£750m - they did very well). So thought I'd try something for myself under the guise of "if it doesn't work out I can get another job". It helped I had no dependent children (son young adult by that point).

What would make you take the leap?
    Take care of the here and now and the future will be taken care of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure