Exercise bike recommendations

Options
Hi,

I've cancelled Mrs Dust and I's gym memberships due to busy schedules and childcare making it difficult to get there.

I'd like to get an exercise bike as we can use this in the evenings when the little one is in bed. However it looks like a minefield! The heart rate monitors look useful as cardio is something I need to work on. Something that folds down a bit would be good too.

So what should I be looking for? Any recommendations? Don't really want to go over £200 (less if possible) but happy to be persuaded to part with more hard earned cash if it can be justified!

TIA :beer:

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought a Nordic 7 exercise bike a year ago used it on and off for a few weeks then three months ago made up my mind to start using it regular.

Since the begining of August I have done 30min everyday on it and difference in the way I feel is remarkable.

I have lost over a stone in weight and have had to put three extra holes in my belt.

(If I miss a day for whatever reason I double up the next day.)

It cost around £500. It has a 20 Kilo flywheel and you can adjust the drag.

Best Buy I have made in a long time.

( I may add that I am in my late eighties )
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Goldust
    Goldust Posts: 526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many thanks! I really didn't want to spend that much... are there major drawbacks to buying something a bit cheaper?

Much respect for being in your late 80s and going for it... I'm in my late 30s and struggling for motivation...
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We got this one a few years ago.

Only a 13kg flywheel but very sturdy and weighty for £170.
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Watt Bike.. no question about it.. they’re amazing
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They often land up gathering dust, or as an expensive clothes hangar.

I bought a second hand one from a charity shop a few years ago for £35 and did use it regularly. It might be worth going the second-hand route until you know whether you will use it.

It can be really difficult motivating yourself. I'm a keen cyclist, had a gym membership for years and rarely did anything other than sit on an exercise bike. Last year I cancelled my membership, biught a turbo trainer, fixed a bike on it at home and did quite a bit less over the winter than I used to do in the gym. It certainly told at the beginning of the season this year that I came into the spring less fit than I usually do.

This winter I'm determined to do better, and considering buying a much more expensive smart trainer, where I can link up online to race / ride with other people in a vitual world.

That's a long way of saying there are no magic answers. You need to be motivated, find a regime / equipment that works for you and stick with it.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd agree with the above. I've bought a fair bit of gym equipment, all of it second hand good quality items at bargain prices. Most of it being used as clothes horses by their previous owners.
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yeah - as above - get one with lots of bits sticking out so you can hang more clothes from it...
    If you can't make time from the gym, thinking you'll do so at home is almost always a false hope.... so many distractions at home or things that appeal more than busting your !!! and they're all within reach.

A better more financially efficient thing would be regular walks together... costs nada, doesn't take up space in your home and if it goes by the way side.... meh
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 January 2019 at 12:33PM
    Options
    I bought a DKN AM-E about three years ago and use it most days
    https://www.sweatband.com/dkn-ame-exercise-bike.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ShoppingPLA&utm_term=DKN+AM-E+Exercise+Bike+-+Black&product=i%5B5273%5D&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIne7LisTW3wIVhrHtCh2IFgjwEAYYASABEgJkgPD_BwE
    It has an 8kg flywheel and costs £230

It has 12 preset programs and has been 100% reliable !!
    The only downside was that you have to self assemble and it is extremely heavy but also extremely robust and sturdy
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Hubby, admittedly a keen cyclist anyway, has just bought a converter for his bike so he can train indoors and is using the Zwift app.
  • mooch
    mooch Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless you really enjoy peddling and going nowhere, I would recommend an airdyne. We managed to pick one up from a local recycling centre a few years ago and its been great. 3 x 20 second bursts is enough to get you gasping for air and feeling like your quads are on fire.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure