PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Shall be trying out another recipe of "Girlcalledjack" today - as in experimenting further with slowcooker mood - and got some feta cheese (from the "use it up cheese stash in freezer").

So it's going to be a slowcooker risotto of barley/stock/lemon juice. She uses frozen spinach - I've got some fresh spinach in and so cant chuck in some cubes of frozen. So will be steaming some spinach to stir in. Then she crumbles a bit of feta on top.

The recipe is a bit "basic" on its own. So will be having some additions - so I guess scattered with some tomatoes and nuts and/or seeds. Bit of sumac and nigella seeds scattered on top as well. Few extra flavourings thrown in (garlic salt/onion salt/pepper).

Guess that means - I'm using her recipe as a base only then:rotfl:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't eat/buy/use/like the ingredients "J" uses ... so I've never been vaguely interested in looking at her recipes.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I've had toast with marmalade, a soya yoghurt and lots of tea today.

I feel tired as I woke up late as I took melatonin last night. I think I took it too late as I feel very sluggish. I'm not sure what to have today, I have some broc and carrots to use up. I might just throw a ready meal veggie lasagne in the oven and have it with the steamed veggies.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    So it's going to be a slowcooker risotto of barley/stock/lemon juice. She uses frozen spinach - I've got some fresh spinach in and so cant chuck in some cubes of frozen. So will be steaming some spinach to stir in. Then she crumbles a bit of feta on top.

The recipe is a bit "basic" on its own. So will be having some additions - so I guess scattered with some tomatoes and nuts and/or seeds. Bit of sumac and nigella seeds scattered on top as well. Few extra flavourings thrown in (garlic salt/onion salt/pepper).

Guess that means - I'm using her recipe as a base only then:rotfl:

I'll be interested in how it turns out, I also find some of her recipes need a bit more oomph added.

I like barley in soups and I tried using it in a salad instead of rice/bulgar/quinoa etc but found it a bit chewy.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well.... that didn't go to plan.

For tea I'd decided I was going to have something specific from 4ldi - I went there and it was mental! I couldn't even park, drove round the whole car park and ended up having to park 2 roads away and walking back.

The shelf was there, but it was empty :(

So that was Plan A up the swanny.

So, Plan B ..... go to L1dl, sausage rolls. Sorted.... except they had sold out of those too!

So then I just shuffled round buying what I fancied/spotted - stocked up on frozen chips (2 bags), bought a whole big frozen cheesecake "New" it said, 79p ... and then grabbed a frozen curry/rice. I didn't have great expectations of the curry, but at this point I had to walk out of the shop with something to quickly get onto a plate for tea.

I've now eaten the curry/rice and the cheesecake is defrosting in the fridge. I don't expect that to be great guns .... but it was large and cheap :)

This is why I don't make a shopping list - too often the shops simply don't have what you went in for.... so it's easier just to make it up in the shop based on what you see/fancy right then.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Lunch as forecast was the baguette & bangers, added some of the cheapo piccalilli, nearly all gone now. I did buy some of the good stuff, on offer at £1 in Morries and elsewhere, except 4sda where it remains on the shelf at 1.58

When I was mooching in the GC yesterday I came across DIY cheese making kits and was tempted. I have since looked them up, my they are expansive, like north of 20 quid
    Has anyone used them? Seems a very expensive way to buy cheese, but maybe it is worth it, like HM yoghurt

The tea loaf was as nice as it looked, plenty left in case I get peckish during Blue Planet;)

There are 4 sausages left from the pack, I'll cook them all later, use two for dinner with the mash /mushy peas, which will leave two cold ones for tomorrow, luckily I like cold sausage sarnies
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well.... that didn't go to plan.

For tea I'd decided I was going to have something specific from 4ldi - I went there and it was mental! I couldn't even park, drove round the whole car park and ended up having to park 2 roads away and walking back.
    I usually try to avoid them on a weekend and Friday mornings (at least around here) tend to be very busy too. But if you need to go, you need to go.

I take it other 'markets' are either too far / unpleasant / don't like (or otherwise) :)

Its more the length of the queue's I don't like :D , if its really long and I've not got anything frozen (unlikely locally) then I'll simply have another slow wander around the whole shop looking at things again, figure that's slightly better than standing in the queue, its usually a bit smaller rather than larger by the time to return to that part anyway.
    This is why I don't make a shopping list - too often the shops simply don't have what you went in for.... so it's easier just to make it up in the shop based on what you see/fancy right then.
    I don't either, never have. You know (roughly) what you want in your head and I've always just worked from that, plus as you say you may see something else you want too that you'd of missed if you were doing the "work down a list" thing. :)

Moreso now as the local shops are a bit variable in what they have in anyway so you can't really plan like that.
    Farway wrote: »
    Lunch as forecast was the baguette & bangers, added some of the cheapo piccalilli, nearly all gone now. I did buy some of the good stuff, on offer at £1 in Morries and elsewhere, except 4sda where it remains on the shelf at 1.58

When I was mooching in the GC yesterday I came across DIY cheese making kits and was tempted. I have since looked them up, my they are expansive, like north of 20 quid
    Has anyone used them? Seems a very expensive way to buy cheese, but maybe it is worth it, like HM yoghurt

The tea loaf was as nice as it looked, plenty left in case I get peckish during Blue Planet;)

There are 4 sausages left from the pack, I'll cook them all later, use two for dinner with the mash /mushy peas, which will leave two cold ones for tomorrow, luckily I like cold sausage sarnies
    I decided to add some of those 'ready baked' sausages to my Morr's online shop today actually, mainly out of plain curiosity as they appear to have decent reviews everywhere and I have had an eye on them for a few months.

I plumped for the 'fresh' rather than 'frozen' ones as they seem to be rated a bit higher. Part of the reason for this was simply thinking a couple of those in the micro + a bit of home made mash = probably a lot better (cheaper too!) than some kind of "bangers & mash" ready meal.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I love faggots and have made them a couple of times, the recipe I used was a combination of one I found on t'internet and the one FrugalQueen had posted but her blog seems to have disappeared now. My first attempt I made in the food processor but I wasn't happy with the texture and found the pork belly didn't break down too well. I bought a cheap hand crank mincer and used pork shoulder instead of belly next time, I haven't made them for a while must have a look to see if I still have the recipe.
    Thanks, I have a mincer so can try both ways :)
    wort wrote: »
    Oh Caronc, you are restrained ! Dd1 and her partner arrived with the Chinese and a bottle or 2 of asti, just to taste test as it's what we drink Xmas day , I'd already put a bottle of pink prosecco in, as dd prefers a dry wine. So we drunk the pink then almost a full bottle of asti. Her partner was on cola as he was driving.
    I hope you had a good night we did, just a little teary, when they left around 9 PM to get home. And I was looking at the flowers I'd done ready to take to the cemetery on Monday, I'd taken hubby's memorial up o Friday.
    Today I'm out with 2 friends I used to work with, we are having lunch in town . So I've only had 1 slice of toast for breakfast, and probably have a sandwich this evening ,depending what we have at lunch.
    At least it's a brighter day today, that rain was the horrible drizzly but wet stuff yesterday. And so dark all day.
    Hope you all have a nice Sunday.::j
    We are too busy nattering to hit the booze ;), sounds as though you had a lovely evening. This time of year can be so hard when you've lost someone :grouphug:

Apart from tidying up I've done very little today, I feel as though I had been out on the tiles instead of a fairly subdued night in with friends so was happy to read & listen to the radio.
    Lunch was toast with a little of the cheese LO from yesterday, I've taken a pork chop out for tonight which I think I'll have with mash from the freezers, sprout and a creamy mushroom/mustard sauce :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I'll be interested in how it turns out, I also find some of her recipes need a bit more oomph added.

I like barley in soups and I tried using it in a salad instead of rice/bulgar/quinoa etc but found it a bit chewy.

Well - I added those various bits of "oomph" I had in mind to it - and have just had the first of the 2 portions it made.

Verdict - one of those "Well I ate it...." scenarios. As in - it was edible - but not what I would call tasty.

So I shall eat the second portion tomorrow - and then not make this particular recipe again. NB: The recipe was one from her meat-eating days - so I substituted vegetable stock powder for the chicken stock cube she used.

In the event - I could have done with some nice hot soup - as the house is cold. Central heating isnt working at the moment.

Score one AGAINST - the firm that pretty much re-did my central heating when I moved here. The reason it's not working is they put in:
    a. a wireless control thermostat up (rather than one running off electricity) - and so it uses batteries.:mad: - ie they will run out sometimes.
    b. the thermostat control is one where the householder cant change the batteries themselves it seems (as some re-setting is needed) - but a different brand would re-set itself after having a battery swop:mad:

Score one FOR - the unrelated plumber ("little man that can" that I found here) that is going to come round tomorrow and sort this for me. Guess I'm going to have get him to swop the batteries anyway - say every couple of years (whilst doing my annual service) unless and until I ever need a new thermostat (at which point I will be having a wired-in thermostat/of different brand/fitted by different firm to the one that put that one there:cool:) - ie the one I would have chosen in the first place if I'd known their job as well as I thought they did.:cool:

Luckily, my computer is in 2nd smallest room in the house - so easier to heat and I've got a fire blasting now to do so. Ditto - that I've got some preps. against problems-not-of-my-causing. In this case - a huge computer screen with techno summat-or-other in it that means I can comfortably watch tv programmes on it if need be. My choice also to have bathroom radiator that is dual-fuel:). So a fire in every room and that bathroom radiator running off either gas or electric - and I'm so glad I plan.

Has feeling I shall be spending the worst of the winter weather studying basic:
    - how to be an electrician
    - how to be a plumber
    - how to be a decorator

followed by giving out an A4 sheet of "how to" specifications for future fair-size jobs, as well as saying what the householder (myself) wants...
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well - I added those various bits of "oomph" I had in mind to it - and have just had the first of the 2 portions it made.

Verdict - one of those "Well I ate it...." scenarios. As in - it was edible - but not what I would call tasty.

So I shall eat the second portion tomorrow - and then not make this particular recipe again. NB: The recipe was one from her meat-eating days - so I substituted vegetable stock powder for the chicken stock cube she used.

In the event - I could have done with some nice hot soup - as the house is cold. Central heating isnt working at the moment.

Score one AGAINST - the firm that pretty much re-did my central heating when I moved here. The reason it's not working is they put in:
    a. a wireless control thermostat up (rather than one running off electricity) - and so it uses batteries.:mad: - ie they will run out sometimes.
    b. the thermostat control is one where the householder cant change the batteries themselves it seems (as some re-setting is needed) - but a different brand would re-set itself after having a battery swop:mad:

Score one FOR - the unrelated plumber ("little man that can" that I found here) that is going to come round tomorrow and sort this for me. Guess I'm going to have get him to swop the batteries anyway - say every couple of years (whilst doing my annual service) unless and until I ever need a new thermostat (at which point I will be having a wired-in thermostat/of different brand/fitted by different firm to the one that put that one there:cool:) - ie the one I would have chosen in the first place if I'd known their job as well as I thought they did.:cool:

Luckily, my computer is in 2nd smallest room in the house - so easier to heat and I've got a fire blasting now to do so. Ditto - that I've got some preps. against problems-not-of-my-causing. In this case - a huge computer screen with techno summat-or-other in it that means I can comfortably watch tv programmes on it if need be. My choice also to have bathroom radiator that is dual-fuel:). So a fire in every room and that bathroom radiator running off either gas or electric - and I'm so glad I plan.

Has feeling I shall be spending the worst of the winter weather studying basic:
    - how to be an electrician
    - how to be a plumber
    - how to be a decorator

followed by giving out an A4 sheet of "how to" specifications for future fair-size jobs, as well as saying what the householder (myself) wants...
    Gee whizz money you're not having much luck:(, hope you have plenty of wine in to help keep out the chills;). I think a lot of JM's early recipes are quite bland probably because they use so few ingredients and she was cooking for herself and a very young child. Would the LOs you have "jazz up" into a nice soup as it sounds as though they could be the basis of a decent broth-type soup ? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure