Financial Fight Back Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• rdm2007
    rdm2007 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    geoff1057 wrote: »
    right, couple of years ago my daughter finished paying for her car on finance from fiat, over the period of the finance they charged her late payment fees totaling £120. we sent letters asking for these charges to be returned ,but they told us in not so many words, to get lost. wrote again to ask for charges to be returned, they said reclaiming doesnt apply to them as they are not a bank ,and if we took them to court they would definately win the case,and we would have to pay all their court costs. we know that they are wrong , would we be better sending this case to the FOS. ok its only £120, but its not their money

As the amount in question is less than £5000 then any costs awarded are limited so it sounds like they are trying to put you off here, Under the Unfair terms in consumer contracts act (and the consumer credit act) they can only charge you for their losses in the payment being late. Which probably means the cost of sending a letter to say it was late. so if it is 4 charges of £30.00 that is not fair - if it was 24 charges of £5.00 that may be different.
  • expat_mike
    expat_mike Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    I can't thank the FSA enough for sorting out a house insurance claim that Norwich Union and their subsidaries continually rejected. Over 3 months I had around 4 different departments give 4 different & spurious reasons for rejecting my claim for storm damage until I passed it to the FSA. Within a fortnight they had ruled in my favour and I ended up with more compensation than I was originally looking for. Thankyou FSA but watch out Santander as I have you in my sights next unless you cough up !
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Options
    not sure if this is right/ best thread, but here goes- anyone know who deals with complaints about a pension firm, as Financial Ombudsman say its not under their remit?

(regarding a promised pension related 'bonus' payout, later retracted).
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,512 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    not sure if this is right/ best thread, but here goes- anyone know who deals with complaints about a pension firm, as Financial Ombudsman say its not under their remit?

(regarding a promised pension related 'bonus' payout, later retracted).

The FSA/FOS deal with FSA regulated schemes. They do not deal with occupational schemes.

Try the following: http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/security-of-pensions/the-pensions-regulator
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sweetica
    sweetica Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    This may not be the right way to ask a question , but it seems the only. I apologise if it isn't.
    I had money taken from a building society account which then made me late in paying 2 mortgage payments. i have now gt a bad credit score and Nat west are refusuing a mortage application , stating the that relationship and previous record is of no consequence , surely the building society that lost it should pay all incurred costs such as bank charges that I incured . I presume it weas stolern as they gave a refund and investigated and I have not heard from them since except for them to say thjat they backdated the refund to the the date in question but did not pay the mortagage payments on that date.
  • cockroach
    Options
    I have complained about bank charges the FOS.they have said and quoted the court case. i have said to the FOS about my hardship cases/problem but they have agreed with the banks and not upheld my complaint .
    is there any thing i can do now
  • micka
    Options
    Hi there i have never posted anything on here before so i am a little unsure if i am on the correct board/site, so please accept my apologies if i am in the wrong place! I am a registered disabled 49 yr old male, who underwent surgery in January of this year 2010 and my condition has got worse over the months where i needed to buy a wheelchair, if i am to go out for any length of time, short periods i can get buy with crutches. I searched for a wheelchair for some time, and i had seen a advert in my local paper that a mobility warehouse near me had a sale on which seemed to have some reasonable priced chairs available. I went to the store and tried a wheelchair out that at the time thought would be suitable for my needs, and it was priced at £99.00 i had a trial run in it to see if i was able to manage to steer it, and decided to purchase it and handed £99.00 cash over which i had borrowed from my sister as i didn't have enough money and also did not want to miss out on the sale price. When i went to physically lift it i did find it a bit on the heavy side. The woman who sold me it actually had to lift it in my car for me at that point if i had been thinking properly, i shouldn't have bought it, but i was in need of a wheelchair and i thought i had got a bargain. I bought it on the 24/08/2010, i live alone and it is still in my car only being used once where i had some help to lift it out and back in the car. I am someone who is not very good at sticking up for myself and tend to let people walk over me, but on the 1/9/2010 i got the courage up to take it back, and there was a man running the shop that day, and basically he said to me even tho i had only had the chair for 1 month and 1 day, and it had been unwrapped and used only once, it was of no use to him, he said he would have a hard job selling it again! the best he could do was offer me £20.00 but advised me to put it on E bay as i might get more for it there. At that point i felt at a complete loss of what to do as he wouldn't let me have a refund, only the offer of £20.00, so once again somebody had walked all over me. I don't know how i stand legally on this or if i have any rights at all. I personally feel the person who sold me it as it is a mobility warehouse!! should have really advised me a little on the nature of my disability and that it was not the best of buys!! for myself due, to not being able to even lift it into my car at that time. Its not every day you go and buy a wheelchair and maybe i should have asked more questions! The so called sale that was on at the time has been advertised every week, so far in my local paper and the date now is some 2 months later since buying it. I just feel that i have been treated a little unfairly, and would love to know if i do have any rights in law against this particular purchase i made! or do i have to put it down to experience?.
  • MELEK_2
    Options
    Advice please...I bought a supermarket brand of dried fruit in a re-sealable pack. I used some of the fruit to make food for the neighbourhood firework display, attended by many children who ate the food i'd prepared. I later, 10days, ate some of the fruit and found that some of them tasted and smelled of petrol or something similar. I cleaned my teeth several times and used mouthwash but the smell and taste persisited. The following day i attended a job interview and the smell was commented on by the interviewer. I took the fruit, in the original container, and the ones i spat out to the supermarket. I recieved a refund for the fruit, a £5 gift voucher as a token gesture untill the items had been tested and investigated. As the assistant registered the complaint on her computer a pop up advised her to phone, i assume head office., wherebye it transpired that several complaints re this item had been logged.

I think this product should have been recalled and am unsure of what my next step should be! The supermarket has sent an aknowlegement of the complaint and advised it will be 40 days before they respond.
  • wanting_help
    Options
    Hi All,

I have received a final response from Bank Of Ireland Ref 2 bank loans i had taken out in 2004 and 2005 about reclaiming PPI charges on both of them, (didint know anything about it (even though i signed, because it is where i was told to sign)).

I got the final response back in 2009 and was told if thought it was unfair i could contact Financial Ombudsman Service within 6 months but i knew nothing about them and thought it was a fob off and gave up.

Now i have been told by FOS that it s to late and if i have any new information they may look at it if i send a letter stating my case.

Can i return back to B.O.I now and ask them to reopen it? or should i go to FOS? Or is this just a dead duck??

Many Many Thanks
    MArty.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,512 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now i have been told by FOS that it s to late and if i have any new information they may look at it if i send a letter stating my case.

Can i return back to B.O.I now and ask them to reopen it? or should i go to FOS? Or is this just a dead duck??

Its game over for you.

You have 6 months and you confirm you were told you have 6 months. That has now long gone.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback