Death and Debt

Options
Please help! I'm in a lot of debt, about 48K. Husband is unaware of the full extent of it. I'm managing the payments and as I'm in a a reasonably well paid job and about to get a raise next month. I'm still wanting to tackle this myself rather than go through any debt management programme.
The problem is I'm not in great health. I've recently been diagnosed with a heart problem. It is definitely fixable but sometimes when I'm feeling dreadful and lying awake in the night I worry about what could happen.
What would happen to the debts if I died? All of them are credit cards and a big loan. All of them just in my name. I live with my husband (no kids) in 'our house' but actually he had owned it for about 10 years when we first met in 2011. We were married in 2017 and have separate bank accounts and my name is not on the mortgage. My debts are the reason I've not suggested doing anything about this, I thought it was a good idea to keep things as separate as possible.
I don't have any savings but I work for the NHS and apparently there's a death in service benefit as part of my pension (I've only just found out about this). Would the money from this (if it is indeed the 3 x my salary I have heard then it would be about £150K) be classed as 'my estate' and would my debts have to come out of it?
Thank you so much to anyone who responds to this. It's stressful being off sick and worrying about what could happen if the worst happened isn't helping at all.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,883 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 January 2019 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Hi,

I can’t answer your specific question about your pension benefits, but any unsecured debt in your name only, upon your death, is written off if your estate does not have sufficient funds to cover it.

You need to consult your provider on this matter, but personally I would assume it would become part of your estate yes.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 January 2019 at 5:53PM
    Options
    MandyT1970 wrote: »
    my name is not on the mortgage.

The mortgage isn't really very relevant - more importantly is whether you are named as an owner of the property at the Land Registry. Generally mortgage companies will refuse to grant permission for that to happen unless you ARE named on the mortgage too - but the two do not always go hand in hand.

I'd suggest your priority is getting a Statement of Affairs (SOA) drawn up - as much as anything else it will almost certainly help your peace of mind and let you plan how you can deal with the debt. The link for the SOA is ion my signature, or in the sticky post above on this board. Get it filled in as accurately as you can and post it back in here and we can take a look and help you come up with a plan. "Managing the payments" is great but you need to approach things in the right way and also make more than just minimums if you want it gone as quickly as possible.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MandyT1970 wrote: »
    I don't have any savings but I work for the NHS and apparently there's a death in service benefit as part of my pension (I've only just found out about this). Would the money from this (if it is indeed the 3 x my salary I have heard then it would be about £150K) be classed as 'my estate' and would my debts have to come out of it?

I think that it is actually twice the salary rather than 3 times. (3 times sounds more likely to be the pension lump sum)
    https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/2018-05/Survivors%20Guide%20%28V8%29%2005.2018.pdf

I also think that this is paid "outside the estate" if paid directly to the partner
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Make sure your NHS pension/life cover nominee forms are up to date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure