£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 2,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you share your social media on here ? I'm sure enough of us can help you share it ?
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • Moreplease
    Options
    Hi TOPM
    Popping out of lurkdom to be invited to your social media page/blog when the time comes. Have loved reading your posts - so much of what you say reasonates with me from the debt to trying to juggle life with kids and trying to feed them good stuff as much as humanely possible. I have had a huge period of ill health this year. All stress related it turns out in the end but with real physical side effects. And I too have had real “is this it?” Moments. I have a big birthday coming up soon which isn’t helping this question ��
    Life is so short and it’s also bloody hard.
    But I’ve felt so inspired by your diaries so thank you!! I’m routing for you. Good luck �� xx
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just on a practical note (always) What do you put as your occupation for say, Car Insurance??
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    I will probably share my social media (by pm) at some stage with people who interact on here and who I feel I 'know' sufficiently well that they probably aren't going to come along and troll my social media space, but not until I have my new branding/website etc sorted. I just can't post a massive link to everyone, as there is too much potential for anyone who feels I am making bad choices on here to come and troll that space, and I'm not willing to take that risk.

Sea shell - usually writer, since that's how I earn the bulk of my income, and my new business will be mainly (although not exclusively) based around written products too.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    TBH, I'd keep here and there completely separate. Too much personal stuff shared here to risk it. Even with those you "know" here, it only takes one crossed post and the genie is out the bottle.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    TBH, I'd keep here and there completely separate. Too much personal stuff shared here to risk it. Even with those you "know" here, it only takes one crossed post and the genie is out the bottle.

Yes I agree with this although I am as curious as the next. I think people google anything they need links or information on so could probably find you that way if it's in their line of interest and not just curiosity. IYSWIM.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • BalanceBy50
    Options
    I class my self as self-employed (small business with 3 directors but only two of us working in the business and getting paid). It's bloody hard as we are constantly looking for new business as our repeat business/small contracts only cover about 50% of what we need. I have two small children - youngest starts school this time so trying to make the most of our time together. I in theory work 3 days but do extra on an evening/weekend. My oldest goes to after school club twice a week (youngest has 3 days in a private nursery) and this gives me the opportunity to work proper full days. Is this an option a couple of times a week? I know there's a cost and with 3 children it's more expensive. it may free you up on another day to do personal non work related stuff. I also work from home & you have inspired me to make one of my business goals this year to making enough money to get an office/desk somewhere. I get sucked into doing jobs at home cos I can't settle without a clutter free working space.

I am also lucky in having a supportive DH and we have a good split of housework. I do the washing/drying, he does the ironing, I do all the cooking & life admin (this job is not to be underestimated but it is!), he does all the garden/outside stuff and we spend a couple of hours on a Saturday morning doing the cleaning its not perfect but works for us and most weekends we get to spend a good chunk as a family

Good luck - you will get there xx
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    Sayschezza wrote: »
    Yes I agree with this although I am as curious as the next. I think people google anything they need links or information on so could probably find you that way if it's in their line of interest and not just curiosity. IYSWIM.

Oh yes, don't get me wrong I'm super curious too, but if your audience would be your audience regardless, then they will find you. Or you get in their face and MAKE them see you!!

So a half-way idea might be to suggest the overall "area of expertise" here, and if they find you they find you. Unless of course you are so niche, then that's as good as posting your web-address here!

However, if a site (any site) was writing about say "Game of Thrones" or "Dog Grooming" or "Celebrity Fashion", they could write like Shakespeare and i'd still have no desire to read it.;)
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Hey TOPM! I don't know if you remember me, I went silent about six months or so ago (largely because I was spending too much time on MSE and put it on my blocked-during-the-day list so I couldn't).

Anyway. I always recognise a lot of myself in your posts, and your change-of-direction post was no exception. I am contemplating a change of focus this year towards increasing income rather than saving money, and it'll need some investment, and it's terrifying. So thank you for your continued frankness.

And on a far more banal note:
    Something that has been really interesting is that every time a domestic job has cropped up (ordering a new coat for DC1, emailing the builder something, calling Sainsbury's energy re our RIDICULOUS DD increase etc etc) I have added it to a big list in the kitchen that DH and I are sharing, and it's really showing me how many domestic things I was doing during my working day. There's hours and hours of work held within that list, and if I'd been getting on with it all I wouldn't be doing any work for my business at all. I think DH is quaking slightly about us now both sharing the responsibility for all of those things!

One of the best things I did near the end of last year, which is when all the household admin ramps up sharply, is download a to-do list app onto both of our phones. I use Wunderlist, but there are loads. And every time I think 'oh, must ring the dentist and change my appointment time' or 'did I check if the girls need new hats for summer?' I put it on the to-do list, and it made a little beep on DH's phone. And every time I did a thing and crossed it off, he got notified of that, too! Highly, HIGHLY recommend for making the invisible work visible.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Happymac
    Happymac Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    Hi TOPM, I have been following your diary but have never commented until now. You sound like you have a logical plan and it is interesting to hear the ups and downs of your journey. The diaries are great but they don't mean that strangers get to tell you what to do when they really don't have all the info. Guiding lights they can be though, with lots of good advice which often makes us think about something twice. Glad you are back posting!
    June 23.25/250 Monthly money making target
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure