Applied for a job which didn't exist!

Options
Hello,

My wife recently applied for a job in the civil service. An external vacancy was advertised openly on the internet, and said they were looking to fill 12 posts.

She applied, did online tests, wrote competency answers, prepared for an interview, took a day off work to travel to the interview (it went very well, we were feeling pretty hopeful), and then she didn't hear anything for a while.

After she chased it up a couple of times, they emailed to say that "the Department have recently reviewed recruitment activity across the organisation, and as a result have paused many live vacancies." They offered "apologies you did not receive the outcome you were seeking" but nothing else. At the interview she had been told they had 25 posts to fill, but a few weeks later, they didn't want any!

Now we're feeling pretty cheesed off. She's invested a lot of time and effort for a job which never existed. It feels like false advertising.

We're starting off with a complaint letter, including an invoice for all her time they've wasted, but we're wondering if there's anything we can do beyond that (apart from just letting it go, which we're not yet ready to do :mad::j).

Does anyone know if there's any way to hold them to account on something like this? It's not technically mis-selling I suppose. Does the Advertising Standards Authority cover job adverts? The advert did not mention that the posts were "possible" or "tentative" or any words to that effect.

It seems unacceptable that an organisation can do this to people, especially the civil service, but we're not sure how they stand legally, and whether they are in any way accountable. There will have been many other people put in a similar position by this.

Any advice appreciated.

Jack

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    jrck2 wrote: »
    Hello,

My wife recently applied for a job in the civil service. An external vacancy was advertised openly on the internet, and said they were looking to fill 12 posts.

She applied, did online tests, wrote competency answers, prepared for an interview, took a day off work to travel to the interview (it went very well, we were feeling pretty hopeful), and then she didn't hear anything for a while.

After she chased it up a couple of times, they emailed to say that "the Department have recently reviewed recruitment activity across the organisation, and as a result have paused many live vacancies." They offered "apologies you did not receive the outcome you were seeking" but nothing else. At the interview she had been told they had 25 posts to fill, but a few weeks later, they didn't want any!

Now we're feeling pretty cheesed off. She's invested a lot of time and effort for a job which never existed. It feels like false advertising.

We're starting off with a complaint letter, including an invoice for all her time they've wasted, but we're wondering if there's anything we can do beyond that (apart from just letting it go, which we're not yet ready to do :mad::j).

Does anyone know if there's any way to hold them to account on something like this? It's not technically mis-selling I suppose. Does the Advertising Standards Authority cover job adverts? The advert did not mention that the posts were "possible" or "tentative" or any words to that effect.

It seems unacceptable that an organisation can do this to people, especially the civil service, but we're not sure how they stand legally, and whether they are in any way accountable. There will have been many other people put in a similar position by this.

Any advice appreciated.

Jack

Sorry, the bit in bold... :rotfl:

Just let it go. This happens to people time after time after time. People invest money in jobs they do not go on to get.

Maybe they realised after reviewing the applicants that they were all useless and decided to hold back on it!

Letting it go should be the first thing you do, rather than invoicing them for time and wanting 'something else?' what even.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Honestly don’t bother with the letter or invoice.....seriously.

Plans change & at some point I’m sure the CS planned on recruiting (do you seriously think they’ve nothing better to do with their time?) but for unknown reasons put the recruitment on hold
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ever heard of a 'talent pool'?
    Sadly it does happen.

Let it go because when you are down on the luck, months or weeks later you may be glad you never sent the angry letter or wrote a review, when they do come a-calling when there is a vacancy. (And you get to realise actually is this what the job was!!)

I know it's frustrating but think of it as some sort of networking or lucky escape.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Your wife is going to make an utter fool of herself if she carries on like this.

Unless you live in a bubble you'll be aware that many CS departments are affected by repeated budget cuts. As such, priorities change. Send a polite reply and they may be in touch again when they are able to recruit. Make a fuss and she can forget working in the CS in the future.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    Many of us have been in a similar situation, I've experienced companies interview a number of candidates only then not to hire any. In an ideal world employers would have to pay travel expenses to the candidates whose time they wasted.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Energize wrote: »
    Many of us have been in a similar situation, I've experienced companies interview a number of candidates only then not to hire any. In an ideal world employers would have to pay travel expenses to the candidates whose time they wasted.

And everyone who embellished their CV would have to pay the companies who wasted their time interviewing them.

Everyone who made themselves out to be confident in their CV and then was flummoxed or shy and underperformed in an interview would have to pay.

Your 'ideal world' wouldn't work. Its a free market.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    And everyone who embellished their CV would have to pay the companies who wasted their time interviewing them.

Everyone who made themselves out to be confident in their CV and then was flummoxed or shy and underperformed in an interview would have to pay.

Your 'ideal world' wouldn't work. Its a free market.

If someone makes a false representation about themselves that's reasonable enough, we go as far as criminalising false representation, never mind civil damages.

Shy/confident isn't a valid comparison though because it's a completely subjective term.
  • Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Good luck with Invoicing them.
  • Cheeseface
    Options
    If the are vacancies on hold and your wife is on top of the list to be offered a post when they release the vacancies again, do you think the invoice will secure that post?
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 December 2017 at 8:02AM
    Options
    Don't waste your time getting angry on this. Spend that time and energy applying for more jobs.
    I spent 8 months filling in countless applications. Some took hours and i most often I never even heard back. Like your wife I also applied for a fake job. I completed the application then had a call from an agency inviting me in to their office. I questioned them and it was just to register me. The actual job didn't exist, they had used the profile of a company they do recruit for but at the time there were no vacancies!
    Job hunting has changed. You will face rude people, be told a job is much better than reality. You will be ignored, spoken down to and yes unwittingly apply for fake roles!
    Seriously you can't do anything about what happened so move on. Rise above it and in the end I'm sure your wife will land an even better job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure