PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    It CAN'T be as bad as the run-up to the referendum, can it? Can it?:eek:

Checking into a spa for a digital detox is an appealing prospect right now!
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hi people personal shtf Dad has been ill few weeks now from a robust elderly gentleman lost about 3 stone .... only agreed to see Dr last week put him on calorie shakes antibiotics and will eventually refer him to GI dept in local hospital i have to call every day to make his shakes up and also doing shopping ... as well as my full time job ...thank heavens hes only 15 min walk away.......Started gym today as well orders from my diabetes nurse ...who is my oldest friends ex wife......still prepping took onboard solvinden lamp... trip to ikea next week then. tata for now
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your Dad Daz. I hope it's nothing too serious.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( Sorry to hear about your Dad, daz, thank goodness you live nearby and are able to help him. Hope that they get to the root cause of the weight loss quickly and restore him to health.

I have 'fond' memories of the run-up to the referendum, with calls coming in from across the planet from angry Brit cits who'd been living overseas (for 30 + years in some cases) and who were reluctant to accept that the 15 year rule meant they couldn't vote.

I don't have telly and only read the bits of the online newspapers which interest me rather than taking dead-tree papers ( although I often get the FT as a cast-off once a week, which is interesting). I forage on left, right and seriously alt news sources and even look at the Daily Fail for s**ts and giggles, but they don't sway my opinion, I just like to know what's being said.

I bet my colleagues in the election office - presently busy with local elections - are just whoop-de-doop at the prospect of an off-piste parliamentary election.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    If I have to watch one more party political broadcast - even from my own party - I will become one of those mad preppers living in an underground room with a pet woodlouse!!!
    Make sure the woodlouse is okay!
    daz378 wrote: »
    hi people personal shtf Dad has been ill few weeks now from a robust elderly gentleman lost about 3 stone .... only agreed to see Dr last week put him on calorie shakes antibiotics
    Sounds very rough, daz, take care of yourself so you can keep on helping your dad.

As for an election .... wasn't it "not another one" that that woman said? :rotfl: I *so* agree :rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh God preserve me from politicians!!! we're not a full day into the run up to a general election and I've already had enough of fat pompous pontificating men in dubious suits spouting the party line and being so 'holier than thou' that they ought to be beatified instantly and pushy women of a certain age in matching dress and jacket combinations with flashy jewellery mouthing off at everyone else with their blunt claws out of their silk mittens and vitriol and venom in every false smile and spat word! add in to the mix the media interviewers and analysts with their poison coated large wooden spoons for stirring up the politician stew and I'm off to Mars until June the 9th or at least giving up the news and newspapers.....AAAAAAGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Unplug the telly and the radio and get thee onto thine allotment, Lyn! Plenty of worthwhile things to do without paying the slightest bit of attention to the suits, like killing slugs. Come to think of it, there is a certain odious comparison to be made....... :p

I chuck unaddressed election mail into the recycling. I return-to-sender addressed election mail. I do not open the door to canvassers nor do I allow myself to be waylaid on the city streets by those doing vox pops or trying to buttonhole support for their candidate.

I'm an equal opportunity ignorer of all politcal parties of whatever flavour.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well, I was intending to make jam this afternoon but seem to have lost about an hour and a half after walking that Cookie monster! woke up with a start when He Who Knows came back from a days fishing and I'd left the TV on and the loop was back round to where I'd faded out previously.....IF I'm going to have to watch repeats I'd rather have The Good Life than the news! Allotment it is then!!!
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all. As per usual I've just been catching snippets of news and am heartened that the election has had the result that all the other ills of the world appear to have disappeared/resolved themselves. So no need to worry about N. Korea/Russia/Syria etc any more. We will be ok.

But just in case, keep on prepping. I'm currently pretty much housebound having put my back out a couple of days ago. Have been able to keep myself amused with my stash of craft materials. So prepped of a kind.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Ah but we need to celebrate democracy and celebrate our ability to make choices! Tell that to the Scots who have been told 'no you cannat'. Ok, I get it and just playing devil's advocate but honestly, to me, it feels like power twisting this game for themselves and no one else.

I'm without an allotment but my neighbour has told me I'll be supplied quite nicely until I do. Nice fella eh?

How did HWKs do fishing Lyn?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport