A conundrum, which I'd appreciate advice on please

Morning all,

I took some advice from the online StepChange site which basically ended up recommending Bankruptcy.

However, a friend passed away on 4th November and, unbeknown to me, has left me an inheritance.

At this stage, it is a percentage of the entire Estate and, of course, the figure is not yet known, but quick "back of a fag packet" calculations suggest the figure could be around £15k.

My total debt that I was including in the BR is in the region of £25-26k and I've already paid £600 of the £680 fees necessary to push the button.

Our family income is purely State Benefits at this stage - I am a full-time carer for my severely-disabled wife and this situation is extremely unlikely to change in the near future - the only two other financial issues on the horizon are my daughter attaining 16 (she is already, but the CB continues until next August as I understand it) and good old Universal Credit migration starting in July 2019 in my area - both of which concern me, but there's little I can do about it, so I'm not stressing myself out unduly about either change.

Now, obviously, this inheritance is a bit of a game-changer from my point of view and it is this aspect which I'd appreciate advice on:

I have gone back through my (web based) financial statement on the StepChange site, putting in this information, and the recommendation is still bankruptcy, albeit with an option of a short-term "token payment" option whilst the Estate is finalised.

Once the Estate is finalised, I was either going to look at offering F&F settlements to all the creditors or, pay off proportionally what I can from the inheritance.

Clearly, just paying off debt proportionally is not going to clear it (especially not with the likes of Vanquis and NewDay as creditors) but it is very likely to bring me under the £20k DRO limit, making the process far simpler from my point of view.

I am intending to speak with SC again next week (probably by web-chat - I'm not a great one for actually speaking on the phone as my hearing issues do make it a tad tricky sometimes, therefore I prefer everything in writing) but, to the collective wisdom on here, does my plan sound sensible?

The alternative, of course, is to go BR later this month/next month and let the OR claim my inheritance - but then it will mean that I have gone BR for a pretty small sum of money in the grand scheme of things, which does seem somewhat pointless.

Thanks in advance for any advice/comment that may be offered.

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,490 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    For sure, while there is uncertainty over how much this inheritance is, I would not go bankrupt.

If it's around 40% of your debt total (i.e. 10k) I think you would have a fighting chance of F&F settlements and avoiding insolvency.

Hopefully those debts have already defaulted and so you are already some way along the road to having a clean credit file.

Use the wisdom of the debt free wannabe board and you could end up in a few years debt-free with clean credit and a few k in your back pocket. If you want a web chat with someone use National Debtline

It might be more complicated if some of your debt is not consumer credit, e.g if it's tax or rent arrears
  • agreed with the above

however, also make sure that when the inheritance is received, inform Housing Benefit/UC (whichever you are on), as there will be a change in your savings, which will take you out of the entitlement for Housing. However if you use the money for debt, this is acceptable to bring you below the savings threshold, but make sure you keep receipts/statements for the payments you make to show the council and or DWP
  • F&F is probably the best way to go after token payments, pro-rata the payments and make the creditors aware when you do that your debt advice from SC is BR at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure