Taken to court for student loans while on ESA

Options
Dear all,
Would really like some help please!
I did my uni course during the 90s, but due to mental health and other health problems I have been unable to work, so now on ESA.
I got a letter from some co. from northants business centre saying I need to pay back £11k, which I just don't have as all my income is from benefits.
Anyone know what I can write in the defence section of court forms?
Please help if you can- many thanks

Comments

• twhitehousescat
    Options
    when was the last time you were in communication with the lender / loan co

was this official court papers , who is the company that are claiming 11k
  • zafreenfarooque
    Options
    Hello
    I had a solicitor letter about 2 weeks ago which I ignored thinking it was a scam.
    The co. are called erudio student loan co, and the paperwork headed 'in the county court business centre'?..I can see a circle stamp with the crown symbol and county court on it.
    I thought old student loans were written off?
    Any way not sure what to do...apart from in the defence section writing I am ill- list conditions, doing the same for my disabled child, and stating all income is benefits?
    I dont mind paying them something if I ever get a job, but right now even paying them £1 a month is difficult...
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello
    I had a solicitor letter about 2 weeks ago which I ignored thinking it was a scam.
    The co. are called erudio student loan co, and the paperwork headed 'in the county court business centre'?..I can see a circle stamp with the crown symbol and county court on it.
    I thought old student loans were written off?
    Any way not sure what to do...apart from in the defence section writing I am ill- list conditions, doing the same for my disabled child, and stating all income is benefits?
    I dont mind paying them something if I ever get a job, but right now even paying them £1 a month is difficult...

Does any of the following apply to you? If so have you communicated this with Erudio/Student Loans Company?
    Under The Education (Student Loans) Regulations 1998, lenders will cancel your liability to repay if you:

Die.

Can show the lender you get a disability-related benefit and because of this disability you're permanently unfit for work.

Are not behind on any repayments under any agreement for a student loan and were under the age of 40 when your last agreement for a student loan was made and you reach the age of 50, or when the last agreement for a student loan has been outstanding for no less than 25 years, whichever is the sooner.

Are not behind on any repayments under any agreement for a student loan and were aged 40 or older when your last agreement for a student loan was made and you reach the age of 60.

Have you been deferring your loans?

Since there is an upcoming court case it might be a good idea to contact one of the debt charities: CAP UK, National Debtline or Step Change.
  • zafreenfarooque
    Options
    Hello
    No I haven't mentioned about the disability but would do so under the defence section of paperwork, which is the only one that applies to me.
    I haven't been deferring the loan, just haven't heard anything about it until very recently
    Yes, I'll try and contact a debt group
    many thanks
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who did you take the loan out with?

If it was the Student Loans Company then I wouldn't expect to receive anything like this as you only have to start paying it back once you're earning over a certain amount, and I believe that was also the case in the 90's.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ruperts wrote: »
    Who did you take the loan out with?

If it was the Student Loans Company then I wouldn't expect to receive anything like this as you only have to start paying it back once you're earning over a certain amount, and I believe that was also the case in the 90's.

If you earn below the threshold you have to apply to defer the loan each year. The OP did not do this which is why Erudio are now taking the OP to court.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you don't defer and don't pay then you are in default of your contract that you signed when you signed up for the loan.

If you default then the whole amount becomes repayable immediately.

You need to get advice.
  • zafreenfarooque
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies
    The original loan was with the SLC- now erudio people
    I may have had a letter in the past but can't remember as sometimes its difficult doing basic things with my health problems.
    I have had conflicting advice- CAB suggest paying £10-15 per month/ my housing adviser saying go to court and explain you have no assets and offer no more tham £1 a month??
  • zafreenfarooque
    Options
    Short answer is no.
    My housing income advisor told me to just offer the £1 per month goodwill gesture and freezing of interest.
    He said if they don't accept, they are looking at around £200 to take me to court, and most probably the Judge will look at my medical conditions as well as lack of assets and let me pay the £1 a month.
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you haven't acknowledged the debt then it might be statute barred. You need to work out exactly when you acknowledged the debt, either with Erudio or The SLC.

Also it might be time barred, when exactly in the 90s did you take your final loan?

I think the disability line is unlikely as I'm guessing from the fact you are on ESA you're deemed fit to work, rather than being permanently unfit to work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure