What do I do?

Options
Hi
Went BR 23/03/07. One man who we owe money to keeps phoning me. I have very humbly explained the circumstances and he made me feel c*ap. I told him we were BR, because I felt pushed into a corner, I said I would see wht we could do. Anyway, he keeps calling and says Br is all well and good but he wants his money. I am still shaking from the call. He wants me to ask my family to come up with a settlement fee. Family are really peed off at his audacity.
What do I do, he is calling again tomorrow at 6.
Vix
:starmod: I am not that savage :heartpuls But I am a Vixen :staradmin

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Don't answer the phone; you can't pay him now so why make yourself feel bad?
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Went BR 23/03/07. One man who we owe money to keeps phoning me. I have very humbly explained the circumstances and he made me feel c*ap. I told him we were BR, because I felt pushed into a corner, I said I would see wht we could do. Anyway, he keeps calling and says Br is all well and good but he wants his money. I am still shaking from the call. He wants me to ask my family to come up with a settlement fee. Family are really peed off at his audacity.
    What do I do, he is calling again tomorrow at 6.
    Vix

Foxy,

What sort of debt is it? I'll have a guess; conservatory?

Rich
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely he is breaking the law by contacting you directly SV.
    If you included this debt on your bankruptcy all you need to do is to give him the bankruptcy number and date. It is then up to him to contact the OR if he has any further problems.
    At the very least, you should report him to the OR as he is trying togain 'preferential' treatment.
    You have the protection of the law.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • wherediditallgo
    Options
    I agree, Rog. Not only is he breaking the law by contacting you about the money after you've already told him you're BR, you'd be in trouble yourself if you entered into any kind of deal with him behind the OR's back.

I'd send him a copy of your BR order. Enclose a covering letter saying that you are not allowed to enter into discussions with him, & he's not allowed to keep contacting you about the debt so should therefore direct any queries he's got to the OR. Then ring the OR about it today - give them all his contact details, tell them how much he's been pestering you & tell them that he says he's going to ring again at 6pm tomorrow, so you need them to get him to stop.

Try not to worry, & definitely don't give in to him. There could be a number of reasons for his behaviour. It could be that he's taking this attitude because he doesn't believe you're BR, in which case a copy of the BR order should resolve that, or he may have lost money from someone else going BR in the past. Or he could simply just be behaving like a git, thinking that he wants his money & bullying you will get it for him. Whatever his reasons, let the OR deal with it - it's part of their job. :)
  • Millionare
    Millionare Posts: 395 Forumite
    Options
    In away you cant blame the bloke as he's lost money, but theres nothing that you can do now so he'll have to live with it.
  • savagevixen
    savagevixen Posts: 1,276 Forumite
    Options
    Millionare wrote: »
    In away you cant blame the bloke as he's lost money, but theres nothing that you can do now so he'll have to live with it.

I totally emphathise with this man. Totally, and feel awful, I tried to keep him out of the Br and come to an arrangement, but he was unwilling. I don't think he realised quite how serious BR is, and that I couldn't pay him, but I wanted to find a way for him to get at least some of his money. But now 4 communications later he is unwilling to back down/negotiate, just says he wants his money, so I have had no choice but to include the debt.
    :starmod: I am not that savage :heartpuls But I am a Vixen :staradmin
  • uther_2
    uther_2 Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    It seems to me then that this guy has 'shot himself in the foot'. You tried to negotiate,he would'nt, so he has lost out. You need to think of yourself and your family first, let everyone else deal with the OR.
  • Millionare
    Millionare Posts: 395 Forumite
    Options
    uther wrote: »
    It seems to me then that this guy has 'shot himself in the foot'. You tried to negotiate,he would'nt, so he has lost out. You need to think of yourself and your family first, let everyone else deal with the OR.

Have to totally agree with you uther. If the Op tired to sort it out, its the guys fault for not compromising in the situation and he has indeed "Shot himself in the foot"

by the way is there anyway you can record your conversations with him? just in case he starts turning nasty, you then got proof of what was said.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure