Landlords

Options
Hello,

This is my latest worry....our landlord, nice fella but I'd rather he didn't know about my BR.

Rent always paid on time and is up to date, so not a creditor.

I know the OR can and possibly will write to him...just wanted to know if anyone had been in a similar situation, did their OR contact their landlord even when they weren't a creditor?

Is it up for discussion with the OR? I have bank statements to prove all rent paid.

Give me some good news please.

Comments

• Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm hoping the ssame thing-that the OR won't contact my landlady..rent has always been paid on time.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • rosysparkle
    Options
    I work for a lettings agent, and we get a letter from the Insolvency Service when a tenant goes bankrupt, even if the rent is up to date.
  • Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Options
    I work for a lettings agent, and we get a letter from the Insolvency Service when a tenant goes bankrupt, even if the rent is up to date.

I had my house originally through an agency on a 6 month contract and when that finished it went onto a private agreement-I've been here 3 years now.I don't even have an address for the landlady, just an email and phone number.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • missimaxo
    missimaxo Posts: 389 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to disaapoint peeps but yes we have to write to landlords. Certain types of tenancy agreements are considered to be onerous and the OR has to disclaim them.

If you provide a copy of your tenancy agreement then the OR MAY not contact your landlord, but it is usually done as standard in all cases.
  • Bakeybadoo
    Bakeybadoo Posts: 810 Forumite
    Options
    One way around it is to contact your landlord first and let them know personally. Shows you've nothing to hide.

The fact you aren't behind and pay on time should mean that they shouldn't have a problem with you being BR and shows you are a reliable tenant in the first place.
    :: BCSC #71 but now discharged! ::
  • Mike_St_Helens
    Mike_St_Helens Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options

Do you do anythig when you get the letter ?
  • rosysparkle
    rosysparkle Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I write to the landlord, as I have to inform him/her.

If rent is up to date I will try to ensure that the tenancy continues, so I say something along the lines of: We have been informed by the insolvency service that your tenant in <address> has been declared bankrupt. Their rent is up to date and you are not required to take any action. We will monitor rent payments and contact you further if necessary. Blablabla.

If rent is in arrears it's different, but in that case I've been talking to the tenant on a regular basis, so I can advise the landlord whether it would be better to continue the tenancy or not. TBH it's usually better for me to persuade the L to continue the tenancy, as following BR tenants have a budget to stick to and more chance of sticking to it.

I act for the L and have to take his/her instructions, but often they'll be guided by what I say.
  • Mike_St_Helens
    Mike_St_Helens Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    I write to the landlord, as I have to inform him/her.

If rent is up to date I will try to ensure that the tenancy continues, so I say something along the lines of: We have been informed by the insolvency service that your tenant in <address> has been declared bankrupt. Their rent is up to date and you are not required to take any action. We will monitor rent payments and contact you further if necessary. Blablabla.

If rent is in arrears it's different, but in that case I've been talking to the tenant on a regular basis, so I can advise the landlord whether it would be better to continue the tenancy or not. TBH it's usually better for me to persuade the L to continue the tenancy, as following BR tenants have a budget to stick to and more chance of sticking to it.

I act for the L and have to take his/her instructions, but often they'll be guided by what I say.

Thats good... Its nice to hear your view.

We run a help site for people wanting and are Bankrupt... Could I ask you.. If you have time, if you want.. pleeeese could you do a little Q&A on renting & B?

That would be great...

Mike
  • rosysparkle
    rosysparkle Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sure, I'll be in touch by PM - it's not going to be today though, my desk looks like a dumping ground for paperwork!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure