Sainsburys not selling fireworks this year

Options
sarah1972
sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    Good call by Sainsburys. :T

Let's hope other major stores follow that lead.
  • od244051
    od244051 Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My friend who works for Sainsburys is glad that they are not selling fireworks as they are such a pain in the bum. As all colleagues need to do annual firework training. Then when taking fireworks to the shop floor from a locked cabinet, they have to be done with another colleague and only allowed a certain amount in the shop floor cabinets at one time. Plus her store is a smallish one and not much room to play with to display the cabinets

Then when customers purchased the fireworks, they are told to leave the store immediately. They don't and float about in the foyer. Last year, a few customers came into the store from buying their fireworks from B&Q - which is in the same complex, still carrying the fireworks with them. They asked for them to leave the store. Just got abuse from these. I think its the terms of the shops' licenses as well as health n safety
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    od244051 wrote: »
    My friend who works for Sainsburys is glad that they are not selling fireworks as they are such a pain in the bum. As all colleagues need to do annual firework training. Then when taking fireworks to the shop floor from a locked cabinet, they have to be done with another colleague and only allowed a certain amount in the shop floor cabinets at one time. Plus her store is a smallish one and not much room to play with to display the cabinets

Then when customers purchased the fireworks, they are told to leave the store immediately. They don't and float about in the foyer. Last year, a few customers came into the store from buying their fireworks from B&Q - which is in the same complex, still carrying the fireworks with them. They asked for them to leave the store. Just got abuse from these. I think its the terms of the shops' licenses as well as health n safety

And yet they have an aisle full of knives, an aisle full of chemicals that can dissolve your body, probably enough aerosols to make the building explode in to a million pieces.

Fun fact. I worked at the B&Q store that sold the terrorists of the glasgow airport attack their gas bottles that they planned to detonate. Mi6 came in and interviewed the checkout operator that put it through and the person who filled in the calor form. Unfortunately calor didnt include the question of 'do you plan to be an absolute douchebag in the use of this product?' so the guy was able to just walk out with it.

Do we really want to deny the potential winners of the darwin award their opportunity to shine?

GD15862692.jpg
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am quite shocked, fireworks have been on sale since Tuesday and not heard one going off yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure