PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Knitting

I am thinking of taking up Knitting, my Mum showed me how to knit many years ago, but the thought of sitting still and having to concentrate put me off.
But Knitting seems to be a trendy thing to do now and having looked online at "celebrity" Knitters I have found a couple of beginners kits.
I know the initial outlay is not really money saving but I have to start somewhere.
I also want to get Myself sort of hobby and have lost my Mum last month I would like to do something to take my mind off the doom and gloom.
Any Knitters out there with any advice would be very well received.
SPC 037

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I learned from youtube videos, but after having soken to the lady who does the sewing lessons I go to, I'm left handed, which makes trying to learn from right handers a bit difficult, so she suggested next time, look for 'continental knitting' on youtube if I wanted to keep learning.
    [she would teach me if I asked, but sewing is plenty for now :) ]
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Sorry to hear about your mum, Madlyn.

My grandmother taught me to knit when I was about 8 - just simple things like dolls blankets and scarves :). I'm now in my thirties and still love to knit - many of my friends do too. I've two young children and so time is my enemy, but making cardies/jumpers for them doesn't take long and it's so satisfying to see them wearing something I've made - cheaper too :)

I'm sure the kits are great, but what I would suggest is making something like a scarf to begin with. You can then practice a variety of stiches if you become bored with just plain and purl. Odd balls of wool can often be found at reasonable prices.

Our local library has a 'knitter's group' where ladies of all ages pop-in to share ideas and help one another. Maybe there is a similar group in your area if the idea appeals to you.

I wish you luck :)
  • madlyn wrote: »
    I am thinking of taking up Knitting, my Mum showed me how to knit many years ago, but the thought of sitting still and having to concentrate put me off.
    But Knitting seems to be a trendy thing to do now and having looked online at "celebrity" Knitters I have found a couple of beginners kits.
    I know the initial outlay is not really money saving but I have to start somewhere.
    I also want to get Myself sort of hobby and have lost my Mum last month I would like to do something to take my mind off the doom and gloom.
    Any Knitters out there with any advice would be very well received.

There is a knitters thread on P11 of the OS forum . They're probably all knitting for Christmas at the moment but it's worth posting there which will bring it to P1 and may catch the eye of one of the posters.
    There's lots of advice and tips so worth a browse.

polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Some charity shops have good wool and often needles very cheaply . Wilkos ,Home Bargains , Aldi and other discount shops sell knitting needs cheaply too
    There's a really good book for beginners which helped my daughter when I taught her to knit . The name escapes me at the moment but I'll check . It's usually available from online sellers at a reduced price.
    polly

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    By all means take all the advice you can get, but if you haven't kitted for ages can I suggest that you start small and knit yourself a square. Believe me it will be enough to think about. Stick to garter stitch and use any cheap double knitting yarn you can find and about 3x3/4 mm needles.
    At first you will have to concentrate furiously. Having knitted a square successfully, knit another one. Keep going and soon you will have enough squares to stitch together and make a lap blanket, or a dolls pram cover.

When you are comfortable you can branch out into purl. When you have mastered that, the world's your oyster (or lobster, as Del Boy would have it.)

You will know that you are a born again knitter when you can't sit down to watch TV without something in your hands to work on. It takes a while so persevere, the rewards are tremendous.

Sorry about your Mum. She would be proud to know what you are about to do.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Knitty Gritty Knitting for the absolute beginner by Anetta Patel . My daughter loved it . There's a follow up the Next steps but the first one should be enough to get you knitting .
    polly

• My advice is probably not very mse, but I think fancy kit is a good place to start. To make a something and have it turn out cool will give incentive to keep on. I'd advise small project like a cowl, thick wool and nice needles (I like knitpro) then branch out when you're comfortable. It helped me when low.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Knitty Gritty Knitting for the absolute beginner by Anetta Patel . My daughter loved it . There's a follow up the Next steps but the first one should be enough to get you knitting .
    polly

These books are great for beginners, I hadn't knitted since I was a child but found them easier to learn from than online videos.
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • I taught myself to knit so that I could do some hand-knitted items for charity...I fill OCC Christmas Child Boxes.

Cast on...knit every row....knit enough rows to make a rectangle....cast off...fold in half and sew up into a pouch...add a plaited handle and you have a bag!...first thing I ever knitted!

I would look locally at your craft and wool-supply shops...it is increasingly common to find knit-and-netter groups there...you would have company AND people who will LOVE to teach you to knit!...our local craft shop does knitting/crochet/sewing/card-making/patchwork/embroidery classes as well as 'seasonal' classes..you pay a bit more for these as they include all materials for various projects.
  • I love knitting but I am not very adventurous. I make "twiddlemuffs" all year (they're great for calming people with dementia) and then give them to my local hospital. My friends and I made 75 last year!

https://www.tamworth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/community_docs/twiddlemuff_instructions.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure