Employer Doles Out Punishment for the Pettiest Things!

Options
124»

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’ve taken calls from colleagues stuck in traffic due to major incidents. That’s fine. It happens. If they’d not bothered to call and just sauntered in, late' they would be in trouble.

I'm curious about this one as it's tricky one, driver does not have a hands free kit and needs to phone as above :undecided
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    There also needs to be a bit of common sense applied by all parties involved around time to log in to a computer system.

Hell yes! Contary to popular belief, I worked in a call centre when you couldn't click ready until the very second your shift was due to start - logging in any earlier was detrimental and affected our adherence stats - (ie. we were actually marked down) when it was queried, I was simply told the owner felt you didn't get to go ready until your shift started, however they always liked us there way before the magical start time, telling us who travelled, we simply should get up earlier/catch public transport earlier. Which I'll admit was very odd!

I soon realised why the call centre was full of those people that only lived 15 minute walk away. As logic to it. Although I have to say in fairness to the call centre they did try and keep you even operating the three instances and your out kind of thing.

OP surely you are better off out of it? Surely you've been to interviews before now when you've not entirely been told the truth? Some places it works out better to go sick then be late. How you can work at a 3 star hotel and have a locker and 'tradesman' entrance, whereas a 4 star place might not be the same. It's all a mystery.

Someone recently said you can always get another job but not another life which I intend to live by. I think some people just lose sight that we don't all have the same work place for all this outright calling troll nonsense.
  • Londoner_1
    Options
    Interesting read.

My start times are 8am to 4.30pm and 9am to 5.30pm.

I drive to work, during the early shift i get in to work at 7.30am , no one bothers to check to see it i'm in but i always get in early (despite dragging myself out of bed in the dark miserable winter months) and leave 4.30pm on the dot.

During normal times i get in about 8.45am and by 5.31 i'm out of the building.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depending on the nature of the job, your employer, if they are an outsource company, may be fined if they miss SLA's (Service level agreements). This is certainly the case with a former employer of mine, and was the reason why they were very strict on adherence. Its fair enough.

+1

Sounds like an outsourcing company. They get paid on agent productive hours and operate on very thin margins with tight SLAs.

O/P - just turn up and be logged on a few minutes early, eh? Not worth the stress of doing otherwise.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    While I agree with most that OP is trolling and has no case against the company, I would also point out that with the fun and games of the railway timetable change in May, many would not have lasted 2 weeks if their employers has a policy to fire anyone who is late for 3 times in 6 months. My journey to work normally takes about an hour and there were many days I left home before 7am and still did not make it to the office at 9am. A bit of perspective may be advisable.
    But it still wouldn't be bullying or coercion. Bad fortune, yes, if the employer wasn't sympathetic, but it still isn't, legally, an employers problem how you get to work, only that you do. Unfair maybe, but life often is. It is lawful to sack someone for almost any reason within the first two years, and the OP didn't have a good reason for being late - and nor did they have two years employment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure