Back dated pay

Options
Hi,
My partner has been told that her pay will go up in October but her start date was in April. Wouldn't that mean that she would be due a back payment of the difference dating back to April?

Thanks

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Do you mean her pay will increase in October 2018?

Does she get paid the minimum wage as that's usually when it goes up.

Wouldn't have thought it would be back dated if either is the case though
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not unless there is some provision for retrospective implementation of rise.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Brownie35 wrote: »
    Hi,
    My partner has been told that her pay will go up in October but her start date was in April. Wouldn't that mean that she would be due a back payment of the difference dating back to April?

Thanks

You seem to be making the assumption that everybodies pay increase takes place from April which isn't the case. If the pay rise takes effect in October that's when her pay will increase. There is no reason to expect backdating.
  • Brownie35
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes a pay increase in October.
    It must depend on where you work as i know that where i work they will back date it to the beginning of April if we agreed to the pay after that period.

Thanks

No i havent assumed anything, was wondering as our fixed date of a pay increase happens in April but if negotiations go on then we will get backdated pay up the 1st of April.

Thanks
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    We don’t know. If she works somewhere with a similar set up to you then it’ll be backdated. Lots of places (perhaps most?) don’t work like that though.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes a pay increase in October.
    It must depend on where you work as i know that where i work they will back date it to the beginning of April if we agreed to the pay after that period.

Thanks

No i havent assumed anything, was wondering as our fixed date of a pay increase happens in April but if negotiations go on then we will get backdated pay up the 1st of April.

Thanks

Thats usually the case where the increase is 'for' April, and hasnt been agreed upon by April. They don't make staff lose out because negotiations took too long.

If something is from October, then its from October.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you mean her pay will increase in October 2018?

Does she get paid the minimum wage as that's usually when it goes up.

Wouldn't have thought it would be back dated if either is the case though

October used to be the time for NMW to increase but it has been changed to 1 April for some time now.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks

In that situation I would expect it to be backdated to April. I've seen it happen on numerous occasions where the employer and unions can't come to an agreement before the due date.
  • minty777
    minty777 Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Can I ask this query regarding back pay

If you leave a company should you get back pay after you leave?for example,the pay rise was due and payable from the 1st June.I left the company at the end of September and the pay rise was agreed in October.Am I legally entitled,even though I left at the end of September to the back pay from 1st June to the end of September.All other employees who are still working there have got the back pay from 1st June?
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is there anything in the company handbook? I know in that scenario I would not get back pay as I have to be an employee at the time of payment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure