Wear Contact lenses + Glasses

Options
Hi all

I have a very high prescription for my glasses +12 in the right eye and +12.75 in the left
im sick of having thick lenses for my glasses even after I have paid for high index lenses they still seem thickish

after a lot of reading it seems that I could buy some contact lenses say at +10 power and wear glasses on top of +2 power so it will make the overall appearance a lot better and a well needed confidence boost

has anybody on here or you know of done this before or is anybody on here that has a high prescription if so how do you cope

thanks
People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race

Comments

• donkichotis
    Options
    Hey, is there a specific reason that you don't use just contact lenses with your prescription (+12)?
    Why would you want the contacts and glasses on top?

Cheers
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Back in the day when someone came in over +10 I would just refuse the fit, faffing about with fitting a contact lens only to have to over fit glasses wasn't worth my time and the flack from higher ups with regard to sales generated by the time spent on the opticians chair.

Towards the end of my community practice I started using the biofinity XR range for high plus fits after speaking to a desperate mum of a +14 school girl. The lenses go to +16 and were a good lens. There are other XR lenses on the market now, you're much more likely to get fitted with an XR lens than to have a combo prescription.

Do bear in mind that putting in lenses will be really difficult for you and you won't get them home until you've managed it a few times without needing help or coaching. It's just the nature of your prescription, you won't see the lens.
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    Hey, is there a specific reason that you don't use just contact lenses with your prescription (+12)?

Cheers

Probably because most commercial lenses don't come in high plus prescriptions and before the ones that do came onto the market you'd either be fitted with a hard gas permeable lens or have to buy a custom soft lens that cost hundreds of pounds.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Cheers

hi thanks for your reply

yes the main reason is that i have a lazy left eye and fairly small eyes so if i just wear contact then the eye would be noticeable more than glasses im fairly self conscious about it
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • donkichotis
    Options
    I have to disagree because that is not completely true.

There are lenses from CooperVision that go from +20 to -20.
    And you can find these powers in multifocal contacts as well.

Can I post the link or is it not allowed?
  • ratrace
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    Back in the day when someone came in over +10 I would just refuse the fit, faffing about with fitting a contact lens only to have to over fit glasses wasn't worth my time and the flack from higher ups with regard to sales generated by the time spent on the opticians chair.

Towards the end of my community practice I started using the biofinity XR range for high plus fits after speaking to a desperate mum of a +14 school girl. The lenses go to +16 and were a good lens. There are other XR lenses on the market now, you're much more likely to get fitted with an XR lens than to have a combo prescription.

Do bear in mind that putting in lenses will be really difficult for you and you won't get them home until you've managed it a few times without needing help or coaching. It's just the nature of your prescription, you won't see the lens.

Thanks, but fortunately the technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years ive seen some contact lenses go upto +20 which is quite good as they only went upto +8 when i first was thinking about them many years ago

Rat Race
  • ratrace
    Options
    I have to disagree because that is not completely true.

There are lenses from CooperVision that go from +20 to -20.
    And you can find these powers in multifocal contacts as well.

Can I post the link or is it not allowed?

Ill check the website out

Rat Race
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    ratrace wrote: »
    hi thanks for your reply

yes the main reason is that i have a lazy left eye and fairly small eyes so if i just wear contact then the eye would be noticeable more than glasses im fairly self conscious about it

Does your lazy left eye "drift" I.e do you have a squint? It's possible to superficially "fix" a squint with well fitted contact lenses. Both my cousin and a work colleague successfully suppressed their squints with contacts though both will drift off if they get tired or over wear the lens.
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    ratrace wrote: »
    Thanks, but fortunately the technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years ive seen some contact lenses go upto +20 which is quite good as they only went upto +8 when i first was thinking about them many years ago

I only fit hard lenses for kerratoconus now so I'm so far out of the softies game that it's unreal.
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For someone with small eyes I would certainly considerthe RGP option
    I fitteda +14 girl not so long ago

Control of the squint may be more of a problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing