Do I have to inform work of a second job?

Options
2»

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The tax position would be interesting if you didn't tell your main employer.

The problem with second jobs like this is working 7 days a week you may be very tired. Any time off sick there is always the suspicion (often well founded) that you are working overtime on the other job. Employers don't like it much. A bit of cash in hand work somewhere might be easier and less taxing!!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have to ask, but permission won't always be refused - although in this particular situation it might well be.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • JackeeBoy
    JackeeBoy Posts: 229 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The tax position would be interesting if you didn't tell your main employer.

The problem with second jobs like this is working 7 days a week you may be very tired. Any time off sick there is always the suspicion (often well founded) that you are working overtime on the other job. Employers don't like it much. A bit of cash in hand work somewhere might be easier and less taxing!!
    I wish I could find such a role! Especially if i is ad hoc work.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

This is likely the main issue. I suspect as a one off, for a weekend or two most employers wouldn't care. However if you're working 7 days a week, every week it will start to affect your performance in the main job. Naturally they'll want you working at your best.
  • General_Grant
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    most jobs require you to tell them about other work. The working time directives about number of hours worked don't make exceptions for different employers, so they have a legitimate interest in what hours you work for other people: https://www.employmentsolicitor.com/working-time-regulations-happens-employees-multiple-jobs/

However, of course, if an employee signs an opt out from the 48-hour maximum, the employer does not have to keep track of hours worked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure