Help with house eviction/sale followiing bankruptcy

Options
Hi I am wondering if anyone can advise me as what to do and when. I went bankrupt in June and I have had the meeting with the official receiver. I believe my case has now been passed to an insolvency company. I, along with others living at my house have received a letter saying we could be evicted and the house may be repossessed and sold. My son would like to buy my share of the equity so I remain in the house but at what point does he contact them to discuss this. Also, my partner paid the deposit on the mortgage and has paid half the mortgage for the past 12 years so will that part remain her share? thank you for any advice help received

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi ah888

Is the property solely in your name? Or jointly owned with your partner? If it is jointly owned it will usually be assumed that you are entitled to 50% of the equity, and if the property is sold your partner will be paid out her share. If you feel your partner is entitled to more than 50%, for example because she paid the deposit, you'll need to show evidence of this.

If your son wants to buy your share of the equity you will both need to seek legal advice on the process, it can be expensive. You can Google law centres and law clinics to see if you can get any free legal advice locally. Your son can approach the trustee now to discuss it, although you may want to consider getting some independent valuations of the property first.

Best wishes

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure