Not a huge debt but need help

Options

Comments

• Sansababy
    Sansababy Posts: 41 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Internet, TV and Landline are all one package from Sky, still in contract with them at the moment but will renegotiate when the contract is up.

With Nursery they expect you to use them for at least 30 hours (2.5 days) a week but you can have 15 hours funded by the 2 year funding. You also have to have their meals or remove your child for lunchtime as there are a couple of children with severe allergies so everything made by them is an allergen free. I don't drive so it's easier paying £5 a day for meals and snacks that it is walking to get her. When she gets the 30 hours in September I will have to use them for at least 35 hours a week (3 full days) and my bill goes up a little more then as well.

I have got CMS trying to get my Ex to pay for his daughter but at the moment he;'s evading them. They've said it can take 6-12 months to get anything in place, so at the moment I'm getting nothing from him, it would make life so much easier if I even got £5 a week off him.
  • Jm90
    Jm90 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there, i have 4 children and 2 of mine have used nursery and i just used the 15hrs, i dont think you HAVE to put her in 30hrs a week, this is alot and right now you cannot afford it, could you pull her out for the time being or only use the 15 free hrs? Talk to the nursery and see if its an option?
    In my opinion your rent/council tax arrears are more important than anything, although not ideal but could your daughter stay home with you for now which would free up money for the other debts until she gets thr 30hrs in September?

Are you sure shes entitled to that as i thought both parents had to be working to be eligible? Maybe exceptions just thought i would day incase its a mistake
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 May 2018 at 12:24PM
    Options
    Hi Sansababy

Thank you for posting your SOA up - some initial observations:

- Your water and energy suppliers may offer lower social tariffs and/or trust funds to help you with any financial hardship you are experiencing. Criteria vary between suppliers, but as a lone parent in receipt of Income Support you have every chance of being eligible for at least some assistance. A full overview of what schemes are offered by various suppliers can be found at https://www.aurigaservices.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/2017-Help-with-Water-and-Energy-Bills.pdf

- You haven't clarified yet whether the nursery debt has any bearing on your child's right to attend for now. Either way, please don't assume that this debt is your top priority purely on the basis that it is the largest amount you owe anyone. The rent and council tax debts have the potential to escalate and attract extra costs relatively quickly, and should be your main focus at present. For now, this may simply involve dropping your council and HA a brief line to make them aware of your financial difficulties and that you are seeking advice, so that they put any other action on hold.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Despite still being in contract with sky, it is definitely worth giving them a ring and explain you are struggling to pay every month and they may be willing to change your contract. They may not, of course, but for one phone call I would definitely give it a go.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • Gladioli
    Gladioli Posts: 47 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Do you actually need the nursery if you are not working? You could save that money and be debt free fairly quickly? I appreciate you may lose your place however at the moment it could be a quick win.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    MrsSave wrote: »
    Despite still being in contract with sky, it is definitely worth giving them a ring and explain you are struggling to pay every month and they may be willing to change your contract. They may not, of course, but for one phone call I would definitely give it a go.

Agree with this.

Also have you thought about your local credit union?

Also do you have any previous employment with an employer who would have a benevolent fund who could offer help?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Anything that ypu could sell on local FB pages to help you get rid of even 1 debt?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Sansababy
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Will definitely contact my local credit union I'd forgotten about them.

I have emailed the Nursery asking for 7 days to come up with something so I have some breathing room. I don't need childcare really but daughter has a few extra needs we're not currently getting DLA or anything for and her paediatrician and health visitor thinks she benefits from being in Nursery so if I remove her I'm at risk of losing her. Have asked about dropping to 15 hours only but it is in the contract that you have to use them for 30 hours if using a funded place so I'm not hopeful. the debt may well affect her place but I think if I can at least try to pay some of it off they'll let her stay there.

I can't speak to the utility companies as the bills were all in husbands name and he won't speak to them to transfer them to me, they won't just take my name for it even though I've been paying the bill.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Well you could switch suppliers & the debt remains your ex's.

• Sansababy
    Options
    No debt to the utility companies so no problems there, so will look at switching suppliers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure