confusion over DIP/criteria on intermediaries site and chances of mortgage

Options
Hi, I'm somewhat confused and hope someone with more knowledge and experience than me can help? ( so that's pretty much anyone! :D )

My son is looking to buy his first home, and as such applied online for a DIP, which he got, from HSBC, he earns £27 200 p.a and the DIP came back at £129200...4,75x his salary, incidentally the Halifax 'how much can I borrow?' calculator came out at same figure but he did the HSBC DIP as it had more favourable rates.

He's been looking at houses priced 110-120 000, so well within his range (including his 10% deposit), but nothing has been of an ok standard, However, a more expensive house has come up that seems of a good standard and that, IF, he were able to get the maximum lending amount he could afford by putting in slightly over 10% deposit.

Obviously I'm not overly confident of achieving the highest lending amount so have been trying to research the lenders criteria.

On the HSBC intermediaries site it states:
4.49 times income for applications with income of less than £30k
4.75 times income for applications with income of £30k or more

which leads me to ask why he was given a DIP equalling 4.75x when he clearly should have been in the 4.49 bracket?

Curiously enough, the Halifax intermediaries site states :
INCOME - £25K-£75K
LTV: LOANS <=£500K:
0-75% - 4.75x (5.00x if income >=£50K)
75.01 - 90% - 4.75x
90.01 - 95% - 4.49x

As he would have an LTV of slightly under 90% it appears as though he MIGHT actually qualify via Halifax?

He has no debt other than student loan which is being paid back at £11 a month, no car/finance/loans.

He pays £91 (4%) to his pension every month and puts £8 (netflix) on his only credit card every month and pays it off just so he can leave a 'credit footprint'. he has no social life (and even less interest in having one!), doesn't drink or smoke, no travel costs as he walks to/from work and doesn't go anywhere else ( he's a very dull boy indeed, at least by 24 year old standards lol)

Does he seem to stand any chance of achieving the 4.75x from Halifax? as if not a chance I wouldn't want to get his hopes up for this more expensive house, and would keep him looking at more affordable options.

Oh, the house he's looking at is leasehold but has 737 years remaining with a ground rent of £8 p.a, if that affects anything? (when we did the intermediary calculator the difference from putting freehold to leasehold reduced the maximum loan amount at a term of 25 years but upped it back to 4.75x if the term was 30 years)

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any help/advice/experience you are able to give.

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Some calculators (I am not sure if HSBC is one of them) show the maximum it will lend but do not take in to account income multiple caps. That could explain it, but the best people to ask are HSBC.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    This is a very new change to hsbc rules. I use them a lot and this wasn't there even a few weeks ago as far as I'm aware. Maybe it was and I've just missed it. They used to do 4.75x for everything with 10% deposit and above.

When did your son do the dip and when did you check the site?

Halifax have had same policy for ages so if he's got a Dip from Halifax for the amount needed then it will be secure.

There are lots and lots of lenders in the 4.75x bracket. Lots of them cheaper than Halifax as well.
  • freddielover
    Options
    He got the DIP a couple of months ago, and I only found the site yesterday, so that probably does explain it, thank you. It might be worth getting a DIP from Halifax? I think I will get him to consult a broker for definite! Thank you
  • LRmortgage
    Options
    Instead of doing more DIPs, just do the affordability calculators or see a broker.

Some lenders DIPs leave a hard footprint on the credit file. Numerous hard searches can be a negative point when applying for a mortgage.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • freddielover
    Options
    That's good advice LR, thank you, I'll be aware and check if any checks are hard or soft searches and avoid doing the hard ones. i think it's probably best for my son now if he just speaks to a broker. I've been trying to help him but they have far more knowledge than me, so best put him in the hands of a professional.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure