what should a lady wear to a wedding in May?

Options
I am due to attend my friends wedding in May. I have no idea what I should wear. I'm concerned it could still be cold at that time of the year. Any suggestions?

Comments

• across
    across Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Options
    i have just bought a pair of beige trousers today for only £7 from asda and they look great they dont look cheap and fit perfect they would do i'm wearing them to a christening when im a godparent next month and also a pair of beige shoes which were only £18 from asda and look gorgeous hope this might help i cant believe how good they look for the price i paid! good luck!
  • Counting_Pennies_2
    Options
    My wedding day was 31 May and it was the hottest day of the year!!!!

Other days in May it rains and not so great.

I would say do layers. Maybe a nice dress with a jacket or pashmina. I remember my mum buying an umbrella in the same colour as her outfit (bright pink!) she ended up using it as a sun shade so it served a purpose!)
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i agree with CP

and better to be too cold than too hot IMO as you can always add layers to warm up

my sons bday is april 18th and his first bday was soooooooooooooo hot

worst thing about british weddings you just can never tell what the weather is gonna be like even in middle of summer lol (rained all day at my SILs wedding aug 15th!!)

id go for a dress with something over the top ,pretty wrap cardigan / wrap etc or a nice pale colour trouser suit with a top underneath that looks good without the jacket
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    How about this?

img003a.jpg

"You must know that I am a lady... I press flowers and stroke kittens and swim in rivers... wearing dresses and hats...............and sh*t"
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We got married in April and it got really hot. Layers are good, I agree.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Layers definitely. Cover up with a loosely knitted cardi (i think cardis are considered smart enough now) which is easy to drape over your shoulders if it does get warmer.
    Don't wear leopard print like someone at a friend's wedding last year, or black(its not a funeral) or white (you are not the bride) Spookily the groom's ex GF wore a pale cream suit. ooh er. sort of said 'marry me instead' :rolleyes:
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I got married ( first time) in May too and it was really hot, I have been to weddings in the Summer where it rained or was really cold. I would probably chose a softly tailored suit which could be worn with a top underneath if the weather was cold. Or you could wear a wrap over a dress or suit some churches are freezing even when it's 100 degrees outside!
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i have a 'pashmina' that i bought from a market for about £3/£4 - used it at a couple of weddings to cover up when it was cold and it looks pretty good.
    if you know anyone else going, check with them - some weddings i've been to have been full-on dresses and hats, others have been fine with trousers and tops. just pick something that you'll feel comfortable in!
    :happyhear
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cream / white (so long as not long OTT dress lol) is considered "ok" now these days for many people

i didnt mind that a few guests wore cream dresses and suits etc and ive worn a white suit to a wedding before

but each to their own of course

best to have a quiet word in the brides shell to be sure
  • Jummy
    Jummy Posts: 692 Forumite
    Options
    I'd also suggest a dress with a pretty cardi or pashmina.
    I got really stressed last year getting an outfit for my brothers wedding last July as i left getting somthing to wear till the last minute.
    I literally got my dress the day before the wedding and did enjoy the day just regretted not getting the outfit sooner.
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport