Why is Braggs Apple cider vinegar so expensive?

Options
I was looking in Holland and Barrett and noticed how much the price difference is between Braggs ACV and Aspall ACV for a similar size. Aspall brand is £2.59 for 500ml of unfiltered, organic, ACV with the mother. For a similar amount (actually less) of Braggs ACV, it's £7 for 473ml. Why is there such a large difference?

Comments

• pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The main difference is that Braggs is imported from the USA, so the distribution cost will be much higher. It's also Kosher certified, which Aspall isn't (I doubt that costs the manufacturer much, but it could justify a higher price). But ultimately there isn't a great deal between them - it will be down to taste, I imagine.

If you do want the Braggs, it's only £4.99 in Asda.
  • MarkAlexander18
    Options
    pumpkin89 wrote: »
    The main difference is that Braggs is imported from the USA, so the distribution cost will be much higher. It's also Kosher certified, which Aspall isn't (I doubt that costs the manufacturer much, but it could justify a higher price). But ultimately there isn't a great deal between them - it will be down to taste, I imagine.

If you do want the Braggs, it's only £4.99 in Asda.

Oh of course. I forgot it is American. Also, thanks that's handy. Is that for a large bottle or smaller one?
  • pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 639 Forumite
    Options
    Oh of course. I forgot it is American. Also, thanks that's handy. Is that for a large bottle or smaller one?

It's the 473ml one.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    (Knowing nothing about organic apple cider vinegar) are either of them better than Tree of Life at £2.29 for 500ml & £3.79 for 1l in Asda ?
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I guess the real reason is that people will pay that much for it (I suppose the product itself in the bottle is only a fraction of the cost of getting it onto the shelf).
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Braggs are something of a trendy brand. Their liquid aminos (an alternative to soy sauce) are popular with the US raw food and vegan communities, so people will pay the price for them because they've seen the products in blogs etc. Their apple cider vinegar is popular as it is raw and comes with the 'mother' (a bacterial colony which causes fermentation) which apparently makes it better for you if you drink it for health reasons.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    I just bought some from Amazon for 6.99 as my ASDA doesn't stock it. :(
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Options
    I much prefer Bragg's to other makes it tastes much better but that's just my opinion.
  • pedro123456
    Options
    Aldi sell Cider vinegar

100% british apples.......made in Britain
    Campaigning to recycle Insurance Policies into Toilet Paper :rotfl:

Z
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income