Working in our own time at work

Hi,

Just wanted to clarify a couple of things really.
I work in retail and I’m fully aware that working in your own time is expected, but is it legal? I’ve been told it’s in my contract.
I stop being paid at 8pm on the dot. If there is a customer still in the store, I have to serve them in my own time.
Once everyone has gone, I then have to bank the money and fill out form and do bag searches.
I’ll normally leave at around 8.15pm. Over 5 days, that’s an hour 15mins.

Can they really make me do this? I get I have to lock up etc, but do I have to fill in these forms and do bag searches etc in my own time?

Thank you

Comments

• Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If it doesn't take you under NLW then its ok

If it does then its not.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    lily-bea wrote: »
    Over 5 days, that’s an hour 15mins.

Are you saying this is each and every day and you're the only individual affected?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Are you the manager or supervisor?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    From the level of responsibility involved I assume you are a manager or supervisor. If it's happening every day and you aren't the manager I wouldn't be happy about it. If you are the manager it comes with the job. If the shop closes at 8pm there will obviously be checks to be made and other procedures to complete after customers have gone.
    As has been said, if it doesn't take you below minimum wage it is legal.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What's in your contract? Have you agreed to work past your paid hours?
  • baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    I had this in a previous job (before I went back to being an electrician)

I was an assistant manager and they expected me to do longer hours that I was paid for

It was pointed out to them that the rota must give definitive start and finish times.
    Once they done this I donned my jacket and walked out - I was asked where I was going
    I asked if I was being paid they replied NO
    Then I said bye

A disciplinary was mooted by someone until I pointed out that I had finished at the allotted time and left- how can they discipline for failing to work unpaid. Either I was working and being paid (and subject to company rules and procedures) or I was not

They
    baldly going on...
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I had this in a previous job (before I went back to being an electrician)

I was an assistant manager and they expected me to do longer hours that I was paid for

It was pointed out to them that the rota must give definitive start and finish times.
    Once they done this I donned my jacket and walked out - I was asked where I was going
    I asked if I was being paid they replied NO
    Then I said bye

A disciplinary was mooted by someone until I pointed out that I had finished at the allotted time and left- how can they discipline for failing to work unpaid. Either I was working and being paid (and subject to company rules and procedures) or I was not

They

So how did they resolve it?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    motorguy wrote: »

Well he no longer works there so presumably that was the final resolution. Many contracts for supervisory and managerial staff state that some unpaid overtime may be required. It's not unusual for salaried staff.
  • lily-bea
    lily-bea Posts: 32 Forumite
    Hi, thank you for your replies.
    I’m a supervisor, who is hourly paid. I’ll normally have about 2-3 team members with me, who also stop being paid at 8pm.

I’ll have to ask for a copy of my contract, as I’ve no idea where it is.
  • baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »

In the end I left and went back to my trade (self employed)

I did leave when I wanted to and didn't regret it.

There was no disciplinary action made by them as they were in the wrong

They tried to force me out and I became the first person in that organisation to have a union rep at a disciplinary meeting - large blue chip company (UK part of US chain), this was just after Labour changed the rules to allow trade union representation at a disciplinary hearing.

All in I got 3 weeks holiday pay (owed), 10 days on paid suspension waiting for a meeting / investigation as well as the manager who was proven to be breaking rules (disciplinary and food safety standard rules) asked to leave

They also paid me for the hours I had worked as well as the other staff.
    They now have a digital system where staff are paid to the minute in all stores- this means they are paid to the minute
    baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport