DMP query - original debtor sold my debt now contacting me to make payments

Options
Hi guys

I've been on a mission to clear my debts for over a year now using the stepchange dmp and I've been happy with the help I've received from them. I'd get the odd letter from my debtors to say they've sold my debt on, I called stepchange and they would sort this out. Recently I've received a letter from HSBC to say they will take me to court for non payments unless I contact them within a month and pay or inform them of debt help I'm getting. This has confused me as I have a letter from HSBC to say they've sold my debt on and since then I've been paying every month to do this new debtor. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue in the past and if so what happened? I think I'd just like to be prepared before I call anyone as this has made me feel nervous as now I'm confused as to where my money has been going

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    Options
    I suspect the verdict will be that this is going to be a standard computer generated letter that can be ignored - does it call itself a default notice by any chance?

Have you referred it to Stepchange to see what they say?
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,885 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Look at the exact wording, it will say something along the lines of “we may take court action” or “we may pass your account to a debt collector”, I may win the lotto, but it’s unlikely.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure