DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!

Options

Comments

• fullofcold
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Ditch GP first, as there terms and conditions require you to pay them the lump sum of cash first upfront to begin negotiations with your creditors, they will of course take a further fee for this.

Get rid of them and do it yourself, be persistent, and theirs nothing you can’t achieve.
    Sixteen years of fees must add up to a lot of money that could have reduced his debt, too late now in your case, but just a warning to others never to use a fee charging DMC.

I reckon about 7k in fee's. Is there a notice period? Like he has to give 28 days notice to come out of the agreement with them, or can he send them a letter saying that he is ending the agreement with them immediately?

I work in finance, but not this arena so I am so glad I asked before I acted. I have been trying to tell him to get rid of GP since we have been together but he is the type to stick his head in the sand. I calculated that by staying with him his agreement would run for 50 plus years, yet if he had done it himself he would be nearly repaid by now !!!!!!.

Also is there any specific wording we need to use to give notice to end the agreement?
    I am a Protection Adviser. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Protection Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • fullofcold
    Options
    Scrap that last question - I found the answer on the GP website. Thank you Sourcrates. This is a new area for me and I find debt very stressful.
    I am a Protection Adviser. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Protection Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    fullofcold wrote: »
    I reckon about 7k in fee's. Is there a notice period? Like he has to give 28 days notice to come out of the agreement with them, or can he send them a letter saying that he is ending the agreement with them immediately?

I work in finance, but not this arena so I am so glad I asked before I acted. I have been trying to tell him to get rid of GP since we have been together but he is the type to stick his head in the sand. I calculated that by staying with him his agreement would run for 50 plus years, yet if he had done it himself he would be nearly repaid by now !!!!!!.

Also is there any specific wording we need to use to give notice to end the agreement?
    Look at the terms and conditions, but normally it’s 30 days notice.

Just say you want to cancel as you no longer require their services.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fullofcold
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Look at the terms and conditions, but normally it’s 30 days notice.

Just say you want to cancel as you no longer require their services.

Thank you, appreciate the help
  • Norfolk_Jim
    Norfolk_Jim Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wife is thrilled today to recieve her PIP and NOT have to pay most of it to some CC - she is going to buy herself a small foldable mobility scooter for the car.
    Im still trying to see the GP to change or adjust my meds. I guess I will have to tell them Im going to hurt myself. I'm not but they would have to see me then. Our surgery have a weird way of getting an appointment.
    Feeling better but still tearful. I think its just stress but still need to review or change those meds
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought my dmp would never end. Started it in 2007, suffered redundancy that delayed it all, but my final payment has been made. :j

Don’t give up, don’t stress... just keep plodding on and eventually you will reach the end of the tunnel and find the light is actually the lightness of being debt free!

Kind of scared now though in case I get caught up in it all again
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • LilOne83
    Options
    hi when a balance is marked as 'in arrears' in your credit score, will that stay there for 6 years? i know 'default' balances do but not too sure about in arrears. thanks a lot
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    Options
    smallie210 wrote: »
    hi when a balance is marked as 'in arrears' in your credit score, will that stay there for 6 years? i know 'default' balances do but not too sure about in arrears. thanks a lot

Hi,

Your credit file is a record of how you have conducted your financial affairs, most of the information is kept for 6 years, if you cannot find information to the contray, then assume its 6 years for everything.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Halfwaythere
    Options
    Hi, I am even more confused now by my situation can anyone help! I have contacted my creditors who have not defaulted my account as from my understanding if I would have not paid my accounts they would have defaulted and have an impact on my credit file however mine are noted as in a DMP and this will affect my credit file for 6 years after I pay it off in full (2years) so would be in a worse situation than if I had defaulted.

I logged my complaint with Sainsbury and they have given me back some interest and £50 for the complaint and I have said they can default if I wish. I rang them and asked if they could default back to 2018 when my DMP and they said they cannot as I am not in arrears she said she can manually default now if I wish as this is a new thing that has come into place in the last few months. However she advised me not to, she said if I default now this will impact my credit file for 6 years whereas if I pay it in full in two years as I am it will completely drop off my file at that point and not have any further negative impact. She read some things out to me but I am not very good at all this. Is she correct can anyone help please I am soooo confused ?!

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    edited 16 November 2019 at 1:06PM
    Options
    Hi, I am even more confused now by my situation can anyone help! I have contacted my creditors who have not defaulted my account as from my understanding if I would have not paid my accounts they would have defaulted and have an impact on my credit file however mine are noted as in a DMP and this will affect my credit file for 6 years after I pay it off in full (2years) so would be in a worse situation than if I had defaulted.

I logged my complaint with Sainsbury and they have given me back some interest and £50 for the complaint and I have said they can default if I wish. I rang them and asked if they could default back to 2018 when my DMP and they said they cannot as I am not in arrears
    Is that correct? Is the account fully up-to-date? Did you always adhere to the original credit agreement? Surely if Sainsbury was included in your DMP, then the applicable account would have been in arrears...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport