PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

help me: food shopping too much - freezable meals

Options

Comments

• teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    my daughter freezes milk! I dont fancy it, but she,s been doing it for ages and still lives
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • Judi101
    Judi101 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    How about spicy sausage casserole? Cook sausages, then chop into large sections. Fry chopped peppers and onion. Add chilli powder (to suit your own taste) add tin (or more depending on taste) of chopped tomatoes and some tomato puree. Dead quick to cook, and freezes great. A nice alternative to chilli if you like spicy food. I make it up with 2lb sausages, 4 tins of tomatoes and 4 peppers then freeze into portions. I use the chinese take out dishes and find a full one of those does enough 'sauce' (eg chilli, bol etc) for me and hubby.

Or if you are not a cook try starting with the ready made sauces from the supermarket such as sweet and sour. Add the meat and some veg. cook it up then freeze the rest. It can work out expensive but is an easy introduction to cooking your own meals if you are just eating ready meals. When you are more confident you can try making the sauce from scratch as well.
  • gargoyle
    gargoyle Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    my menu this week is chicken chasseur, corned beef hash, beef stew, sausage casserole. Will all these freeze well and how long can they be frozen for?
    "Failure is always an option"

Sealed pot challenge #107 - still going strong
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ollym wrote:
    Please help me. I'm spending up to £100 a week on food shopping for one person.
    threadbanner.gif

I am severely stunned that you could spend this!!!!

Sorry to be unhelpfull, I will get back at a later date with my sugestions once I get over the shock, I spend approx £20 per week for myself and thats with a bottle of wine.
  • System
    Options
    teedy23 wrote:
    my daughter freezes milk! I dont fancy it, but she,s been doing it for ages and still lives

I have done it for years.

Keeps for approx 1 month.

skimmed milk keeps longer for some reason, probably due to less fat in it.
  • System
    Options
    gargoyle wrote:
    my menu this week is chicken chasseur, corned beef hash, beef stew, sausage casserole. Will all these freeze well and how long can they be frozen for?

I personally freeze these for no longer than a month, but am not sure if its possible for a longer period.
  • JULIE
    JULIE Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    hi, there's an old thread on this site somewhere for feeding a family on £1.62 a day (or summat similar)...flippin great, there's a corned beef hotpot on it thats absolutely delicious the amount feeds 5 of us basic recipe is

wash and chop up 8 potatoes, couple carrots and onions, oxo cube & appropriate amount of water added and tin corned beef chopped into large chunks, bung it all in pot boil then simmer for 30-40 mins bish bash bosh yum yum....
    i add all sorts to mine if i got stuff lying about like a pepper, garlic cloves, frozen veg and even dried pasta to bulk it out if i don't have many spuds etc

also cheese sauce... 1oz butter melt in pan, stir in 1 oz flour to form smooth paste, gradually add 300ml milk stir constantly til smooth consistency, add4oz cheese stir til melted, you can always add some mustard if you like a bit of zing..... just bung that over some cooked pasta and veggies... loverly jubberly oh this amount of sauce feeds five of us
    "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...
    until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it"

Harper Lee - To Kill A Mockingbird
  • System
    Options
    lynzpower wrote:
    Oh and another thing, for stirfries, or anything where you'll use chicken if you dont fancy buying a big one and doing rubber chicken, choose turkey, its really low fat, and significantly cheaper than chicken fillets

I would just like to confirm this turkey suggestion, especially when there is sauce involved, you can't tell the difference.
  • gb57
    gb57 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    How can anyone spend £100 a week for food for one person???

Echo what lots of people have said - don't buy ready meals, buy fresh fruit and veg every few days so that it doesn't go off. Don't buy pre-prepared chicken breasts, that sort of stuff, buy fresh and cook it. You can have fun trying things out, you are eating good food, and learning a skill for life!
    And why buy pasta sauces when they are so quick, cheap and easy to make for yourself (and taste SO much nicer) - onion/garlic/tin chopped toms/tom puree from tube/herbs - basic sauce, add anything you like at last minute

Quick (cheap) recipe -

onion (and garlic if you like it)
    tin chopped tomatoes (slightly more expensive than the whole skinned ones, but much tastier
    mushrooms (the big brown ones are nicest)
    dried mixed herbs or any fresh herbs that are hanging around

soften chopped onion/garlic in olive oil, throw in tomatoes (add some tomato puree from a tube if you have some - this keeps for months in the fridge once opened, though no doubt the Health Police would say you should throw it away after a few days), add chopped mushrooms, herbs, salt & pepper to taste

Cook for about 15 mins if poss to get a nice thick sauce (stir it occasionally)
    cook pasta while sauce is cooking

use half the sauce one night, the rest can either go in the fridge or freezer for another night.

Tuna is inexpensive. 1 tin tuna, some garlic, a bit of leftover white wine, maybe green or red pepper, green beans or something, stir into cooked pasta. Anchovies are quite nice with this, and capers, but not essential

There's loads of stuff like this. i think there are some threads on here with recipes, or poke around the 'net.

Pasta and rice can be used with all sorts of inexpensive, quick sauces. A baked potato (v quick in microwave), with left over bol sauce or chilli sauce is great, i like tuna with a baked potato sometimes

A tin of baked beans on granary or wholemeal toast is actually good for you. Scrambled egg with e.g. green pepper is quick, easy, cheap. Buy good bread that you like rather than cheap cardboard that does not taste of anything and is not filling

Planning meals is a good idea, but don't feel that you have to eat something when you don't feel like it - either freeze it or keep for another night. Be flexible. Always have a list when you go shopping so you are not just chucking stuff in trolley without thinking, base the list on a rough meal plan.

Good luck!:o
  • wendy_ann1983
    Options
    I fancy trying something with lentils and pulses but they seem so fiddly to cook with the rinse, soak for 24 hrs, boil, etc any ideas to make easier?

I confess to buying ready meals from Iceland but my OH and I work shifts so may not see each other all week and I never fancy cooking for just me.

I remember when I lived with my parents Saturday night was "eat whatever you could make from the leftovers in the cupboard night" this resulted in me finding out that the expensive "Pasta with Chicken in White Sauce" in restaurants was basically pasta in chicken soup. You can use pasta or rice and it frezzes well. (on really lazy days I just did pasta in gravy with a raw carrot.. don't knock it till you've tried it)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure