Hmrc student !own deductions

Options
Hi really hoping anyone can advise on this _ I went back to work last September and Inadvertently ticked the box on the p46 confirming g I had student loan to repay. However my student loan was sold to a private company (Erudio) several years ago. I am currently in deferment as in don't earn enough to meet the threshold. Hmrc have taken money from pay every month since that is not owed to them. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to speak to someone there to get the money refunded.......

Thanks

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm finding it increasingly difficult to speak to someone there to get the money refunded.....

Do you mean that you can't get through?

Have you tried just before 8am?

Otherwise you could write. Keep a copy and send "signed for".

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/income-tax-enquiries-for-individuals-pensioners-and-employees
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 May 2017 at 8:42AM
    Options
    Lel75 wrote: »
    Hi really hoping anyone can advise on this _ I went back to work last September and Inadvertently ticked the box on the p46 confirming g I had student loan to repay. However my student loan was sold to a private company (Erudio) several years ago. I am currently in deferment as in don't earn enough to meet the threshold. Hmrc have taken money from pay every month since that is not owed to them. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to speak to someone there to get the money refunded.......

Thanks
    Despite saying I wasnt going to post on here again I cant help myself offerring simple advice in this case.

Whilst HMRC collect student loans via payroll deduction the responsibility for collection remains solely with Student Loans Company.

By ticking the box you have essentially given your employer a start notice to begin deduction.

You need to speak to the Student loans company to get them to issue a stop notice, this is sent to HMRC who then send it to the employer named on your tax record.

Repayment of the deductions taken in error will again be the responsibility of SLC and not HMRC.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    will again be the responsibility of SLC

The OP says that his loan was sold to Erudio.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    The OP says that his loan was sold to Erudio.

Yes, but the employer has paid the money to HMRC who in turn will pay the money to SLC. So, either HMRC or SLC have the money. OP will have to talk to both to find out who has it and get it back and get future deductions stopped.
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pennywise wrote: »
    Yes, but the employer has paid the money to HMRC who in turn will pay the money to SLC. So, either HMRC or SLC have the money. OP will have to talk to both to find out who has it and get it back and get future deductions stopped.

It will always be SLC who repay the money.

If deductions were made in a previous tax year then these will be noted on the P60. If payments were taken in this tax year they will be shown on the payslip. HMRC will also have details on the OP's tax record under RTI.

If SLC don't have the details of amounts paid (which they wont in the current tax year) then they may ask for proof of deductions so they can refund the money.

HMRC do have a Student Loans unit who may be able to offer assistance but there is no public telephone number for them, you have to be put through by the contact centre. The SL unit is only open mon to fri 9-5.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport