Lifepath Capital Fund change

Options
I pay into a employer pension (I pay 6%, my employer pays 12%, which from what I gather, is rather good), but only a few months ago, my company changed the default Lifepath Retirement Fund to a Lifepath Capital fund.

I have paid in with my employer for nearly 12 years now, and still have another 25 years before I can officially retire at the age of 67.

Even though it's a long way off, my current feeling is that I would like to take 25% in cash, tax free, and receive the rest as a weekly/monthly pension. Because this is the case, should I change my option back to a Retirement Fund, or keep it as a Capital Fund? Or does it really not matter at the moment, as their is 25 years left to switch it, (and that's if I'm still with my current employer).

Also, I think I read in my pension details that a charge could be incurred if i change it.

As always, any views will be gratefully received :D.

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tel_ wrote: »
    Also, I think I read in my pension details that a charge could be incurred if i change it.

If you're trying to make a decision (or asking for advice here), knowing the facts is never a bad starting point.

Check your pension details. Is there a charge and if so how much?
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    What you invest in when you retire has no bearing on what your investments should be now. Amongst other reasons your objectives now are different to what they will be then. There is no problem with moving funds at any time.

As to which of your available funds you should be using its impossible to say since we dont know what they are. Perhaps if you gave more details we could make suggestions.
  • tel_
    tel_ Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    As to which of your available funds you should be using its impossible to say since we dont know what they are. Perhaps if you gave more details we could make suggestions.

I've tried to log into my pension fund details tonight, but a page I think I need to view them won't load. It's likely to be with BlackRock/Barclays Global. When I can access it I will post here.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport