MSE Poll: Have you ever asked for a pay rise?

Poll started 9 April 2019
The gender pay gap is in the news again. Normally in the consumer world if you’re unhappy with something, you should politely complain. We wanted to test whether this applies in the world of work too.

Have you ever asked for a pay rise (disregarding any company-wide annual rises)? Please select the CLOSEST option to your situation.
Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Maggie_Bob
    Maggie_Bob Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I’ve only ever worked in the public sector where pay is not negotiable (outside of annual/incremental rises) so this isn’t something I would be able to do.
    In a better financial position than ever before (thank you MSE!). Moved back to Scotland and now trying to keep debt-free!
  • Yes I did ask for a payrise, because my employer advertised a role with the same job title as mine (in a different division of the company) with a salary 30% higher than mine and they recruited a male into the role. Naturally I was fuming. I went calmly to HR and asked to be paid the same, as I was doing equal work. It took months but I kept chasing for an update and eventually got the answer that they would be raising my salary and giving me a few months' back pay. Six months later however four of us in our department were made redundant, partly due to costs. if i had the same time again i would still do the same, a higher salary gave me the confidence to apply for a new job on a higher salary and get it. Also it was the principle, i didn't want them to get away with treating people so unequally. I think it worked in my favour that they employed a male, the law is more on your side if your equivalent is a different gender from you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure